Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sun Sail vs Gazebo? Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sun Sail vs Gazebo? Thoughts?

Okay gang, we have a large deck, no problem. Just don't have the $$$$ to build a solid structure. That will be down the road.
    So we are looking at Sun Sails which look cool, with 3 large post, or just a big box store gazebo. We can easily do a 10x12' gazebo, but more expensive and more upkeep, but seem to cover more as well, even in an afternoon shower.

Thoughts?
    20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sun Sail vs Gazebo? Thoughts?

My hesitation about many of the gazebos is that I don't think the fabric will last more than a few years, and many are odd shaped so can not be easily replaced.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought that too. A sun sail is easier to replace. Just worried it doesn't cover much, and I can only do a triangle one on my corner (No place for the 4th post).
    20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

4. Back To Top    #4

We bought this from Lowes a couple of weeks ago for $500. It got very good reviews and we also bought a spare canopy. Reviews indicate the canopy should last 3-4 years, so with the spare, we may get 8 years out of it. Not bad for $600 total.
    It also has insect screening which can be opened or fully enclosed. You can't get that with a sun sail.
    We had considered a sun-sail but the post installation would be expensive and not sure how it would stand up to high winds. There is a you-tube video of the gazebo we bought in some rough winds and it seemed to be coping remarkably well.
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've seen two sun sails used sharing two of three post and using different cable length between them. The third corner can be attached to a building or go to the ground.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In laws just got this one: Shop Garden Treasures Matte Black Steel Freestanding Pergola with Canopy at Lowes.com

The shade is just rectangular, so it might be easier to find or make a replacement. It is a sun shade material.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
    We bought this from Lowes a couple of weeks ago for $500. It got very good reviews and we also bought a spare canopy. Reviews indicate the canopy should last 3-4 years, so with the spare, we may get 8 years out of it. Not bad for $600 total.
    My brother has one of these, they are great! I looked at a bunch of different ones and this one is by far the best for that price bracket.

I'm ordering mine in a few weeks.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am currently looking at this Shop Garden Treasures Red Offset Patio Umbrella (Common: 10.5-ft W x 10.5-ft L; Actual: 10.5-ft W x 10.5-ft L) at Lowes.com and placing locking casters on it so i can move it and provide shade to seating area or pool. Anyone have this shade umbrella?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    I am currently looking at this Shop Garden Treasures Red Offset Patio Umbrella (Common: 10.5-ft W x 10.5-ft L; Actual: 10.5-ft W x 10.5-ft L) at Lowes.com and placing locking casters on it so i can move it and provide shade to seating area or pool. Anyone have this shade umbrella?
    Nice price for an offset umbrella -- we've been shopping around.

I think a moveable, pivoting umbrella is very practical.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

It also has insect screening which can be opened or fully enclosed. You can't get that with a sun sail.
    We had considered a sun-sail but the post installation would be expensive and not sure how it would stand up to high winds. There is a you-tube video of the gazebo we bought in some rough winds and it seemed to be coping remarkably well.
    One of those came with my house. The canopy was pretty shot, so I bought a new one. They did not have it attached to the ground, and it gets picked up and moved around the deck in high winds.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bigevilgrape View Post
    One of those came with my house. The canopy was pretty shot, so I bought a new one. They did not have it attached to the ground, and it gets picked up and moved around the deck in high winds.
    Any idea how old it was when you acquired it?

I anchored ours to the concrete deck at the front but the back is on gravel so I attached it to a couple of trees using ratchet straps. Plan is to extend the concrete decking and have it all anchored to concrete.
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

Any idea how old it was when you acquired it?

I anchored ours to the concrete deck at the front but the back is on gravel so I attached it to a couple of trees using ratchet straps. Plan is to extend the concrete decking and have it all anchored to concrete.
    No idea how old it is. It shows up on the google satellite picture, but that is less then a year old. Other then the roof fabric falling apart its in very good shape and still really solid.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

My neighbor had the same one and the cloth didn't last very long, but that's in the Tucson sun..
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    My neighbor had the same one and the cloth didn't last very long, but that's in the Tucson sun..
    Maybe I should protect it with a sun sail...
    Chris Hawkins