Waterproofing options for pool renovation

Nixskj

Mar 28, 2016
Johannesburg
Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and am hoping that you can help with a project that I will be doing soon. I have an existing in ground pool approximately 10.5x4.5m in size, depth 2.2m to 1.2m. The pool was built quite a few years back and is a rebar shell with gunite.

I am wanting to convert the pool into a wetland/ecopool/natural swimming pool where the water is filtered through an area containing plants. I therefore need to dig up an area adjacent to the pool, tie the rebar into the current rebar frame, gunite it/pack with cement and then waterproof both the existing pool and the new area – the old fibre glass lining in the existing pool is cracked and lifting so I have to replace it. I have the design mostly sorted as I have been researching this for some time but I am not sure what to do about the waterproofing.

The existing swimming pool has a surface area of 55m2 and the wetland area will be 65m2. So a total waterproofing area (not taking into account walls) of over 120m2.
The most common method of waterproofing here in South Africa is marbelite or fibre glass, both of which are very expensive. I have also seen an epoxy(?) paint that I have considered but all the examples I have seen completed have had issues with leaks.

The finish of the pool does not need to be perfect as it is essentially a fancy pond, the waterproofing in the area with the plants won’t even be seen the plants will cover it. So long as it is comfortable underfoot, I will consider any method. Due to the hot climate, a lighter colored finish would be best e.g. concrete grey or similar.

Attached some pics of the existing pool, the proposed layout and then some completed ecopools.

Thanks!
Pool Plan - construction details 5.jpg
Exisiting pool.jpg
SMALL_AND_SIMPLE_fs.jpgpure_water_pool_plantfilter_combi_fs.jpg

You might look into Drylok. It is a latex based masonry sealant. I have used in in pond and pool applications and it will not hurt fish or plants but would have to be redone eventually. In the bog side the sludge produced will help to seal the cement eventually as well. You might consider just lining the whole thing in EPDM. Pretty common in pool to bog conversions as well. You could save a ton on the bog construction if you planned an EPDM liner as all you would really need to do is the rough digout and then a poured footing/coping on the outside edge. You could get the epdm fitted for the existing pool and then just spread in the new bog area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.