Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help on stripping and sealing stamped and stained concrete.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Help on stripping and sealing stamped and stained concrete.....

I all, I am in desperate help on how to strip stamped concrete. When we built our pool we colored the concrete and stamped it with another color. I then applied a water based "wet look" sealer which lasted what seemed like a few weeks. Later I applied a solvent based sealer that lasted a bit longer. Now its flaky and dry. The concrete and limestone are almost the same color now and it looks real bad. I am wanting to strip the sealant and was told to apply Super Seal - 30 which is a gloss. Most removers require scraping which is impossible due to the stamp. If anyone can shed some light i would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help on stripping and sealing stamped and stained concrete.....

I am not completely sure so maybe someone else will help also..

I would think a 3500 PSI pressure washer would do the trick, I have heard of people using cleaning solutions but most of the time I have heard that the heated big boy pressure washers are the best..

something like this

Gas Hot Water Pressure Washer Rentals | Sunbelt Rental Rentals
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I am thinking the same thing as Casey.........a good, high pressure washer with the right tip. You might have to play around with the tips to see which ones work the best.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Won't the pressure mark the concrete? maybe remove the stain?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

you want to "remove" everything.. basically starting over fresh.. Marking the concrete is the issue and why you have to pick the correct tip, how far away from the concrete, heat, and cleaners you are using... The old adage start someplace that if screwed up you wont notice
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I was trying to remove some sealer from concrete pavers and came to the same conclusion- hot water pressure washer. My 3,000 psi Kärcher would just barely make any headway on it. I searched for a rental, with no luck. Most rental shops only had cold water units, due to the extra maintainance required for the heaters. I ended up hiring someone to do it for about what renting the equipment would have cost. It did a pretty good job of removing the sealer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome Thanks I will try that route.