Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium adding to a vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium adding to a vinyl pool

I'm new to pool ownership. I have a 16X32 vinyl liner pool. I have some stains and wanted to remove them, when I took my sample to pool store they said my calcium was to low 50 ppm and I needed to add some "calcium hardness increaser". They want me to add 25#'s of this not all at once but over a few hours. I started reading about this process and some people said never add calcium to a vinyl liner, I also spoke to a friend who has had a vinyl liner pool for 10 years and she said she never add calcium. Please help, thanks in advance Sue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium adding to a vinyl pool

First, welcome to the forum!

It's optional in vinyl really. It won't hurt to have soft water in there, because the plastic won't dissolve or corrode like plaster can. Stains and metals are a seperate issue.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

The only reason you need to add Calcium is to boost the pool store's bottom line. Your surface will not etch the way a plaster pool will. Take the money you just saved by not buying a bucket of Calcium increaser and buy your own test kit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you this is very helpful. Do you think I could move ahead with the stain treatment in the next few days?
    16 X 32 In ground vinyl liner pool. Approx. 15,300 gals.
    Pentair whisperflo 1.0 HP motor with sand filter. Test Kit TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by suebillie View Post
    Thank you this is very helpful. Do you think I could move ahead with the stain treatment in the next few days?
    Have you identified what kind of stains they are? If they're organic, time and bleach will fade them. If they're metal: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

You're gonna wanna use Jack's Magic test kit to determine the root cause of the stains.

7. Back To Top    #7

Before spending money on a kit, if you have a chlorine puck sitting around that you could hold against the stain and see if it lifted it, and likewise some run of the mill vitamin C tablets held against the stain.

If the puck lightens it it is an organic stain. If the Vitamin C works, its a metal stain.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Before spending money on a kit, if you have a chlorine puck sitting around that you could hold against the stain and see if it lifted it, and likewise some run of the mill vitamin C tablets held against the stain.

If the puck lightens it it is an organic stain. If the Vitamin C works, its a metal stain.

The pool store told me the same vitamin trick!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you to everybody who posted, its so nice to know there are so many people out there willing to share there knowledge. Thanks again.
    16 X 32 In ground vinyl liner pool. Approx. 15,300 gals.
    Pentair whisperflo 1.0 HP motor with sand filter. Test Kit TF100