Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid shock question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid shock question

My PB left me several gallons of liquid shock. Looks to me to be just 12.5% chorine so can I use this to chordate my pool. I typically use 10% but can adjust the quantity down some.
    IG Gunite, 16' x 30', 3 1/2' - 5' deep, ~11K gal, Pebblesheen, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, LED Color Lights, Taylor K2006 Test Kit.
    Build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...d-in-Humble-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid shock question

You certainly can, and depending on its age, it may be close to ten by now. A regular addition will tell you well enough. Perhaps use just a bit shy of what you normally put in. No biggie if it's a touch high when you test, and you'll figure it out from there. Good luck!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thanks
    IG Gunite, 16' x 30', 3 1/2' - 5' deep, ~11K gal, Pebblesheen, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, LED Color Lights, Taylor K2006 Test Kit.
    Build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...d-in-Humble-TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Just for clarification to others who read this. Liquid chlorine, liquid shock and bleach are all chemically identical except for the percentage of chlorine. Bleach is usually 6%-8.25%, liquid chlorine is usually 10% and liquid shock is usually 12.5%. It varies by state.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I noticed HEB's Bravo came down recently by a few cents. Today was $2.94. Nice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

To add more confusion to that bleach bought from janitorial supply companies may be anything from 1% - 12.5%, many places sell the 1% junk cheap, and it tends to keep janitorial staff from going through bleach so fast, or at least so many $$$$ of it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Good point! If there isn't a percentage listed in the bleach bottle then don't buy it. It is watered down cheap stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Most chlorines/bleaches have a date stamp some where on the bottle, with the year and what ever day of the year it was produced. That can give you an idea of how old it is.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Most chlorides/bleaches have a date stamp some where on the bottle, with the year and what ever day of the year it was produced. That can give you an idea of how old it is.
    Good point. Here's an older thread that explains it: Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!