Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dedicated vacuum line? Necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dedicated vacuum line? Necessary?

My PB says we do not need a dedicated vacuum port when we have 2 skimmers and in ground floor cleaners (and not even a vacuum at all he says!). Seems a lot of people use their vacuums though, and I thought I might need it as a back up one day. Arizona can sometimes get these awful, apocalyptic-like dust storms known as "haboobs" (no joke, look it up), and I'm not sure if the infloors and skimmers alone could manage after something like that and I may need an emergency vacuum??

So is a vacuum line necessary? What about the vacuum equipment itself, can I get by on infloors, skimmers and a brush?

phoenix-8-11-15.jpg
    THE HABOOOOOOOOOB IS COMING!
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dedicated vacuum line? Necessary?

Wow, what a dust storm. I'm not an expert, but If you have two skimmers and an in floor cleaner, I probably wouldn't do a vacuum. I would think you could always get a robot later if you need an additional cleaner
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Or just run a vacuum through the skimmer as you will only need it once in a while.

Unless he is talking about a pressure side cleaner which would need an extra port. If that is what he is talking about and you already have the in-floor, I would opt against as a vacuum through the skimmer port will take care of your needs and will be very cheap in comparison.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

100% agree, a cheap skimmer port vacuum would work great if only needed 1 or 2 times a year... You may find robots are the new thing
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I do just fine with a cheap manual vacuum (Lowes) connected to my skimmer. Just be sure you have a way to close off the second skimmer while you're vacuuming from the first. When my filter is freshly backwashed, I get too much suction and have to crack the three-way valve to draw some water from the spa while I vacuum otherwise the vacuum head gets sucked flat against the floor and won't roll. If you ever have to clean up after a haboob, a manual vacuum can do it, no problem. Your filter will load up in no time, but you probably know that already.

A dedicated line is just more plumbing you don't need.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good to know! I'll save the money on plumbing then. Ty all!