Stains in pool and trying to avoid re-plastering

robbig

Mar 26, 2016
Waco, Tx.
Hello. I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. I have a gunite pool built in 2011. The first few years I had it I really didn't know what I was doing and am still limited in my knowledge and rely on the local pool supply stores to help me keep things in line. My issue is that I have a lot of stains in the pool from poor chemical management. The local pool store came out and said an acid wash would not get the stains out. Is my only option to re-plaster the pool?

Do you have one of the two recommended test kits (Taylor's K-2006 or TF-100, either available from TFTestkits.net) and can give us a full set of test results:

FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Perhaps we can help diagnose what the problem is, and why your still newish pool is in bad shape?

Are they metal stains, or are they perhaps patches of Calcium scale? Scale will be rough to the touch; when they're really bad, it's like grow-your-own sandpaper that can cause road-rash, especially on knees and elbows. Scale is also not gleaming white the way you imagine. Not Hollywood teeth white; usually tan or greyish.

An acid wash will remove scale.

Post a picture or two. Best time to try photographing is early morning when it's bright but before the sun hits the surface, and the water is still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.