Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains in pool and trying to avoid re-plastering

1. Back To Top    #1

Waco, Tx.

Stains in pool and trying to avoid re-plastering

Hello. I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. I have a gunite pool built in 2011. The first few years I had it I really didn't know what I was doing and am still limited in my knowledge and rely on the local pool supply stores to help me keep things in line. My issue is that I have a lot of stains in the pool from poor chemical management. The local pool store came out and said an acid wash would not get the stains out. Is my only option to re-plaster the pool?
    18,000 gal in ground gunite
    Built in November 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Stains in pool and trying to avoid re-plastering

Do you have one of the two recommended test kits (Taylor's K-2006 or TF-100, either available from and can give us a full set of test results:

FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA

Perhaps we can help diagnose what the problem is, and why your still newish pool is in bad shape?
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Stains in pool and trying to avoid re-plastering

Are they metal stains, or are they perhaps patches of Calcium scale? Scale will be rough to the touch; when they're really bad, it's like grow-your-own sandpaper that can cause road-rash, especially on knees and elbows. Scale is also not gleaming white the way you imagine. Not Hollywood teeth white; usually tan or greyish.

An acid wash will remove scale.

Post a picture or two. Best time to try photographing is early morning when it's bright but before the sun hits the surface, and the water is still.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!