Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to group

1. Back To Top    #1

Waco, Tx.

New to group

18,000 gal plaster
    Built November 2011

Hello. I am new to the group and would like to know if anyone has any advice before attempting to paint the pool. It is beginning to look very rough. Any suggestions on type of paint and special steps I should take other than the common steps spelled out if you do a google search? Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New to group

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know a lot about painting pools. From what I have seen here it doesn't last more than a couple of years. If you can swing it it would be a lot better to replaster. There have been several threads in the last couple of years with people painting their pools.

If you want you can add your pool info to your signature so everyone knows your pool info. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! In general the advice would be not to paint the pool. Since the pool is only a couple of years old the plaster should still have plenty of life left in it. When you say it is looking rough, do you mean the finish looks mottled, or has rough areas on the plaster? If you could post some pictures of the problems and a complete set of test results we may be able to help you fix your plaster issues without painting or re-plastering the pool. For test results we would especially need the calcium hardness, total alkalinity, and pH.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP Rob,

Good to have you here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome. Do not paint the pool. It will not last as long as you wish.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter