Pool remodel progress

lawombat

Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2016
Woodland Hills CA
Hi Folks,

I know that people like to follow along with projects, so I thought I would post some updates on my reno project. Just for a point of reference here is how the pool looked about a year ago, before it developed a leak. It's an old pool, by most peoples guesses probably built in the early 60's and I guess has been re-plastered at least once already in its lifetime, but still has original copper plumbing, and I think original coping.
IMG_1719.jpg

After it developed a leak, we decided we would have the following done:

Remove the plaster, fix the crack(s), replumb with PVC, split the main drain, move equipment, convert to salt, replace the coping, tile and replace the plaster with StoneScapes tropics blue mini-pebble. Also add a love seat, and replace the light with an LED low voltage.

Here's what it looked like the day before demo started. It is green because I stopped adding water and turned the pump off around Thanksgiving. Amazingly it actually didn't turn green until February.

IMG_5205.jpg

Plaster, tile and coping demo complete. Some plumbing started including cut in shell for new PVC split main drain.

IMG_0211.jpg

Here is the crack in the gunite which was exactly where we had guessed based on evidence visible through the plaster. It's hard to see in this picture bit it looks like crack goes right through the bond beam.

IMG_0186.jpg

The deck is currently in pretty good shape, unfortunately there has to be a lot of cuts in it to replumb. But it can't be helped. The old diving board in this picture is being removed also. The pool is plenty deep enough (over 9' deep) but the place it takes up could be better utilised for outdoor furniture.

The old coping was a safety bullnose type, so it doesn't look like there is enough room for a full stone coping to fit with the existing deck, so we are looking at using a flagstone (about 1") for the coping.

IMG_5212.jpg

So far the project is going pretty smoothly my pool builder is a good communicator and very responsive to questions and concerns.

One question I do have at the moment is regarding the returns. The plumbers are installing 3 returns, but they are planning on only 1" returns. The main feeds from the equipment are supposed to be 2". Mathematics tells me that the 3 x 1" pipe is less cross sectional area than 1 x 2" pipe. I am trying to convince them to use 1.5" for the returns, but they believe that it is harder to use 1.5" fittings. I can see plenty of 1.5" fittings advertised online, so I don't understand that? I would appreciate any thoughts on that subject.

Also I originally specified that the feeds from the main drain and skimmer would be separate back to the pad. But it looks like they are using a skimmer which has the main drain (and vac line? not sure) lines integrated into it. I like to be able to shut of the main drain when I am vacuuming (manual), to increase suction and flow through the vacuum. Has anyone had good experience with this kind of skimmer? Are seperate lines better, or is the a good reason to use a skimmer like this?

Thanks,
Scott

Tell him to run 1.5". If a plumber can't find 1.5" fittings he's probably not going to be able to find your house anyway so you'll never have to meet him;) Seriously, 1.5" is VERY common stuff and the most common size for returns in my experience.

Thanks all for the feedback, we have the 1.5" returns and on the suction side the main drain and skimmer are combined, but I do have a seperate vacuum line which should work fine for me.

At this stage we have the plumbing completed, pressure tested good, coping is on with grout to come soon. Also decided to add some deck jets.

IMG_5247.jpg

We went with a coping stone called "Utah Sunrise" which hopefully blends well with the existing deck, tile and pebble we have chosen.

IMG_5253.jpg

Plumbing to new equipment location. Includes a seperate 1" line for each of the deck jets, seperate suction lines for main drain/skimmer and vacuum. Also includes stub lines for future solar on the house roof.

IMG_0251.jpg

Equipment in new location, plumbed with chlorine generator, still to be wired.

IMG_0304.jpg

I do have some concerns on a couple of items that I would really appreciate some feedback on.

First is the cementing work that has been done in the main drain cut.

Here is the overview of the work.

IMG_0297.jpg

I am no expert in cement work, but this to me looks like it has shrunk? Is it OK?

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

Might be hard to make out in the photo, but there is a crack running through here.

IMG_5237.jpg

The other concern regards the skimmer, should I expect it to be level? Should the top be level with the top of the deck/coping?

You can see here against the level the skimmer is at a pretty significant angle.

IMG_5252.jpg

Not sure if I am overthinking some of these issues. But we are sinking a significant amount of money into this project, and want to be happy with the end result and want the repairs to last for a long time. Really appreciate any feedback from the experts on the forums.

Thanks,
Scott

Further on the skimmer subject. Call me old fashioned, but I expect the skimmer lid to be level with the deck, isn't that normal?

This straight edge goes from the new coping to the existing deck. I would expect the top of the skimmer to be more or less level with the bottom of that straight edge.

IMG_0319.jpg

Inside of skimmer basket looking into pool, you can see an inch or two of gunite visible on the bottom of the inlet.
IMG_0314.jpg

From inside pool looking into skimmer. You can see an inch or two of coping mud at the top of skimmer.

IMG_0315.jpg

My conclusion from this is that the skimmer needs to be lifted an inch or two. Can anyone think of reason why you wouldn't want to do that, or something that I am missing?

Thanks,
Scott

Further on the skimmer subject. Call me old fashioned, but I expect the skimmer lid to be level with the deck, isn't that normal?

This straight edge goes from the new coping to the existing deck. I would expect the top of the skimmer to be more or less level with the bottom of that straight edge.

View attachment 46457

Inside of skimmer basket looking into pool, you can see an inch or two of gunite visible on the bottom of the inlet.
View attachment 46458

From inside pool looking into skimmer. You can see an inch or two of coping mud at the top of skimmer.

View attachment 46459

My conclusion from this is that the skimmer needs to be lifted an inch or two. Can anyone think of reason why you wouldn't want to do that, or something that I am missing?

Thanks,
Scott

I see your concerns and would feel the same way.

Time for a phone call.............BUT what if it is planned for the patio to slope away from the pool to help with major rainfall??? Just throwing that out there in case he says something along those lines.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure what to tell you on the mud and other issues but on the skimmer height they are probably planning on using a skimmer extension. They're not that uncommon. It is a sleeve that slides into the skimmer and extends it and you can level it independent from the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.