Advice on complete equipment change out and replumb

Jkuter

Mar 25, 2016
Massachusetts
I put all my new equipment in place today to plan for plumbing and I bought what I thought was the best products and not what fit in my original setup so that means I need to get creative with the plumbing. The heater side to the output is fine but suction to pump and filter I am at a loss for since the output is below the pump I will need to make some bends. Advice is welcome, pictures are links because it looks like I am over my quota already,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyfnx3hvw67ssi4/2016-03-26%2013.35.24.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm1xjtq90c3vmzu/2016-03-26 13.35.35.jpg?dl=0

I would come out of the filter outlet go 90* up high enough to go over the pump and then 90* over to the heater. The suction line from the ground is lower than the inlet in the pump? You can use a 45* or a 90* out of the plumbing and then a 45* or 90* into the pump inlet.

I am having a hard time viewing the pics in drop box. It would be better to upload the pics to photobucket (free), copy the IMG code and paste the code in your post. This will embed the pic in your post.

Room around the pump is important. Especially if it's touching where the vibrations can wear on the glued connections. Also, be careful with putting a lot of tight 90deg bends. You don't want to only have 3 or 4 inches before a bend b/c the water doesn't have time to become laminar, you should have at least 7-8" inches of pipe before a bend or it will be turbulent and add to the losses. You may have to shift the pump around. Also, I like the usage of 45deg bends. Sometimes one 45 will get you to the same point one 90 will.

How about something like this? The heater and filter are at a weird angle so I reused some flex pipe. I couldn't find 2.5-2" at HD for the jandy I have so I am waiting for a new one to come since its pretty tight to turn anyway. Imagine those wires zip tied after I glue all the pipe in. Electric is all finished but I know nothing about LP so I may call my company to hook up the heater. That can't be too much right?

It looks like some of those fittings you are using are DWV drain pipe fittings, not Schedule 40 pressure fittings (the sweep 90's and 45's) DWV fittings have only half as deep of glue on socket as pressure fittings do. Some people use them with pools, as pools operate at relatively low pressure, which is not too bad of thing above ground where they can be easily replaced if / when they fail, but underground they can be a real pain.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like some of those fittings you are using are DWV drain pipe fittings, not Schedule 40 pressure fittings (the sweep 90's and 45's) DWV fittings have only half as deep of glue on socket as pressure fittings do. Some people use them with pools, as pools operate at relatively low pressure, which is not too bad of thing above ground where they can be easily replaced if / when they fail, but underground they can be a real pain.

Ike

Thanks Ike I didn't know the difference there. They were on the plumbing I took off so I bought some of the same and mixed and matched depending on my requirements for space. I will see if I can eliminate them to get a better fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.