Repurposing 220v dryer wire for new pump install?

Jun 13, 2013
I'm upgrading to a 220v variable speed pump setup from a 1HP single speed 110v SuperPump.

I do not currently have 220v to my equipment so I'll need to run it.

I have an unused 4-wire (circa late 80's) dryer plug in my basement that is unused because we have a gas dryer. It's wired to a dual 20a (40a total) breaker at the panel.

Can I repurpose this wire to feed the pool pump? Once removed from its current location I think it may be long enough to even reach the pump all on its own without the need to splice anything. I'll need to drill a hole in the foundation wall and add proper conduit and such but that's certainly not beyond my handyman skills (heck, I installed my own inground pool ;) ), nor is the wiring either actually so long as this is all code? I'm just not terribly familiar with 220v vs 110.

TIA.

If the wire is in cable form then arguably no. Generally sheathed cable is not permitted inside conduit. So what you might want to do is oversize the conduit so you don't have a problem. Use 1" conduit for example.

You also need to have a maintenance shutoff for the pump. That means either terminating your run in a sub panel, ( More money) or installing a duel pole switch for the 220. It must be more than 5 feet from the pool and with in view of the pump. Generally something like this: Square D QO 60 Amp Not Fusible AC Disconnect Switch Does Not Provide Over Current Protection-QO200TRCP - The Home Depot

The wire you run out to the pool pump must be rated for wet location weather it is conduit or not. This is usually done with individual conductors rated as THWN. The other issue with this cable is it does not have an insulated ground wire. you also do not have 40 amps available. 2 breakers do not double the available amps, it stay the same. Only the voltage doubles. Since you are in Canada, there may also be some other code issues to deal with as the CEC does not follow the (US) NEC all the time

Electric is an area that if you have to ask questions, generally you should hire an electrician.

As gwegan and danpik point out there can be details specific to what is already installed and your location.

As the others have said the wire inside the dryer cord is likely not wet condition rated, add to it that the insulation is around 30 years old and I would certainly never use it around my pool.

220v is just 2 110v wires, black and red, and a ground, green. The 4th wire is a neutral, white, and isn't needed. The 220v 20a circuit is sufficient for the pump. You can splice in a new wire in the box where the plug is, put a cover on it and run liquid tight conduit from there to the location for the pool equipment. Then install a box and wire your pump from there. Make sure to bond the pump.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm all for doing things code and aren't against the expense, but I'm also keenly aware that as long as I know what code is (and yes, I'll confirm Canadian vs US differences) I can achieve it with my own skills, so, respectably, I don't automatically buy the "get an electrician" route unless ultimately I can't 100% confirm what I need to do to meet code...at which point, I'll do exactly that..but like I said, I'm confident I can tackle this so long as I'm armed with the correct knowledge.

Ok, how about this then - repurpose the dryer wire inside the house to a junction box on the inside of the house, run new code compliant wiring (waterproof, with a switch and GFCI) from the outside, through conduit into the basement, and then connect to the existing dryer wire circuit at aforementioned junction point?

Following up...picked up a code compliant 220v outdoor pony panel today with a GFCI. Will be taking out the dryer plug tomorrow and fishing the wire back through the rafters, drilling new holes to route it to the back of the house, and re-routing it. I'm pretty sure it will reach the back edge of the foundation without any problem and may actually be sufficient to make the pass through the foundation directly to the pony/GFCI panel itself but the code issue (no shielded wire in conduit) means I'll still have to put a junction box in the basement and fish wire from the panel to the junction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All done, pool is opened, and the pump is performing perfectly. The wire, once removed from the dryer plug housing and pulled back from the wall where it was mounted was indeed long enough to get straight out through the foundation and out to the GFCI pony panel on the back of the house. Got everything wired up and it's performing perfectly - I'm amazed at the drastically lower consumption on the variable speed pump vs my old superpump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.