A&A style 1 head stuck/stripped

Mar 25, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Trying to replace style 1 hi flow. Purchased proper two pronged tool to remove and reinstall new one. So far so good.

When I insert prongs and do quarter turn counter clockwise, it goes with me, but then the prongs just eat into the plastic ring and I can't get the head to come out. Now I just have the head stuck in the turbo ring with two really large holes.

Any suggestions?

A&A is a local company, based in Phoenix. I have had their tech out to do repairs on my system. So if I were you I would just give them a call. A service call might be cheaper than the damage you could do trying to deal with the problem.

There are two types of heads. One is removed with a tool that has two straight prongs the other one uses a different tool that locks into slots in the head. It sounds like you may be using the wrong tool.

Pictures would help.

Thanks for the advice - I got it out! Just needed a little jiggle and some help from the pump pushing it upward. There was a TON of fine sand that came out once the head was removed. Better do this to all of them.

I do have a follow up question though. Why does the replacement part come with a spring in the bottom? I see nothing like that in the original.

Last edited:
ed9e0af4-6cbb-4f5d-9a36-9ce667490fb5.jpg
It looks like the o-rings on the old ones have completely disintegrated. No idea last time they were serviced. I've owned the house for less than a year. I'm confused because the new part has a spring assembly on the bottom that is not present on the old parts. Nor does the spring assembly appear to have been left behind in the housing on the floor.

Am I missing something, or do the new parts simply come with an extra spring assembly to facilitate the popping up and rotation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.