Phoenix/Tucson how long before drain/refill because of excess calcium hardness?

Depends on how high your CH starts at. Mine for a fresh fill is about 130ppm and it goes up about 125ppm every year. So after 4 years or so, the CH is getting to the point that a refill would be helpful in preventing scale.

Semi private well, so my water is better than most.
If your water starts harder, then I think you will want to replace water much less than 5 years. Harvesting the little rain we get can help too.

My water is currently at 800ppm CH and I'm able to manage it just fine. Using a pool cover and keeping evaporation to a minimum is key in high water hardness areas. Rain harvesting is a great idea if you have adequate roof area and good area to put a storage drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

It seems like the average varies, but generally falls into the 3-5 year range. I'm going into my fourth year with the same water. I don't know if I'll make five years, we will see.

I know Richard320 just runs it off the roof straight into the pool. Drain a little before the expected rain.

I have not tried this, although it would actually be pretty easy for me to setup.

My CH is up to 500ppm, after 3 years starting with a refill of 130ppm. Was thinking of replacing it next spring. Of course I have the advantage on the well, that a refill costs me only $15 for the water. Although then have to add $60 for CYA and $60 for salt. So, under $150 to start fresh.
Still have a box of borates that I did not put in last year because I knew I would drain fairly soon, so figured I would wait.

Cover is too much of a hassle ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.