Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phoenix/Tucson how long before drain/refill because of excess calcium hardness?

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix/Tucson how long before drain/refill because of excess calcium hardness?

I am wondering for Phx/Tucson area folks (or anyone else with high calcium in your tap water) How long before your Calcium levels are so high you need a partial/complete drain refill?

-J

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phoenix/Tucson how long before drain/refill because of excess calcium hardness?

Depends on how high your CH starts at. Mine for a fresh fill is about 130ppm and it goes up about 125ppm every year. So after 4 years or so, the CH is getting to the point that a refill would be helpful in preventing scale.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Phoenix/Tucson how long before drain/refill because of excess calcium hardness?

Are you metro water? I haven't tested it yet, but all the builders I've talked to says you'll be draining and refilling every 5 years because of CH.

4. Back To Top    #4

Semi private well, so my water is better than most.
    If your water starts harder, then I think you will want to replace water much less than 5 years. Harvesting the little rain we get can help too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

My water is currently at 800ppm CH and I'm able to manage it just fine. Using a pool cover and keeping evaporation to a minimum is key in high water hardness areas. Rain harvesting is a great idea if you have adequate roof area and good area to put a storage drum.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It seems like the average varies, but generally falls into the 3-5 year range. I'm going into my fourth year with the same water. I don't know if I'll make five years, we will see.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I know Richard320 just runs it off the roof straight into the pool. Drain a little before the expected rain.

I have not tried this, although it would actually be pretty easy for me to setup.

My CH is up to 500ppm, after 3 years starting with a refill of 130ppm. Was thinking of replacing it next spring. Of course I have the advantage on the well, that a refill costs me only $15 for the water. Although then have to add $60 for CYA and $60 for salt. So, under $150 to start fresh.
    Still have a box of borates that I did not put in last year because I knew I would drain fairly soon, so figured I would wait.

Cover is too much of a hassle
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Really great info folks. Nice to see so many Tucson people here.