Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water after killing alge

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water after killing alge

just took the cover off and the water had a good amount of green alge. i put in alge killer and shocked the water. i also put the floater in with the chlorine tabs. the water turned a cloudy white color. the filter is new. the other levels are ok. at night with the pool light on there are small white particles in the water. do i just keep running the filter or is there a quicker way? i did put some clarifier in it. a friend told me to put the vacuume in the middle of the pool and keep filter running til its clear.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: cloudy water after killing alge

Welcome to TFP!

Read through the Pool School in the upper right, and you will find everything you need to know. For anybody to answer you, we need a full set of test results. FC and CYA at a minimum, and preferably CC and CH too. Trying to clear a pool without that is just guessing in the dark.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

HI and welcome

This time of year we get flooded with similar questions like yours... and Pool School was developed for folks in your situation. You can also read other threads in the Swimming Pool Care forum that will give you answers, suggestions and hints as to why your pool is looking the way it does.

I will tell you that one of the advantages of BBB is you don't need algaecide, clarifier or any other fancy Pool Store chemical to clear your pool and keep it that way.

So we'd be glad to help, but as John pointed out, we need test results.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

It can take the filter up to a week to clear up the water after the algae is all dead. Be paitent and let the filter do it's job. Remember to backwash/clean the filter as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School