Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak 406a issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak 406a issue

Hi all,

I was trying to heat our pool and the heater gave an HL1 code, at first. So I turned it off, gave it a few minutes to cool down, and tried again. This time it threw an HL2 code.

After a bit of research, I checked the "tubes" and they were clear of any scale. I checked the unitherm governor, and it looked a bit old and the gasket was all funked up, so I went ahead and replaced it.

So, after installing the new unitherm gov, I tried the heater again. The water temp shot up from 68 to 82 in about two minutes, in both pool and spa mode.

So I'm guessing water is having trouble getting out of the heater? Does this story give you guys any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raypak 406a issue

When I see something like this it is because the unit was piped backwards but it sounds like you have had yours installed a while. Do you have any valves installed in the piping to the heater? Sometimes people install a bypass and they forget to open one of the valves.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, good call. I had unscrewed the inlet/outlet pipes to look for any debris, and carelessly put them back in the wrong direction. So replacing the thermostat actual did fix the HL2 problem, but only after correcting my silly mistake.

Thanks, ps303!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for heads up how has your 406A been other than this?
    10000 Gal Gunite with water fall
    250000 Teledyne Lite 2 Heater presently
    PentairWisper-flow pumps for pool 2hp and waterfall 1hp
    Sand filter
    Salt Water Chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

It's working pretty well at the moment. I would guess it's about 6-7 years old, and recently I had to replace the thermal fuse and clean the exchange to fix flame rollout, but that's the extent of the maintenance I've had to do in the last few years.