Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Reverse Osmosis for pool filtration?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Reverse Osmosis for pool filtration?

I hope I am not hijacking but I figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread. So building my second pool here in Florida and as well all know the calcium is hard. I realize some is needed. So is it acceptable to fill some of the pool with R/O? I was going to throw 3 hoses in the pool and have one of them connected to R/O system. If I can get the calcium even 20% lower I'd be happy as I remember how high mine was in my last house... Any comments?

2. Back To Top    #2

Hey Trader, welcome to TFP!

We actually want you to start a new thread so that we can give it the attention deserves. It will get more answers as opposed to bumping an old one.

At that ratio it will be perfectly fine to fill the pool with it. With enough calcium in the third it could be just as fine to fill the other two thirds with RO water if it were available.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm curious as to what the calcium level is on your fill water? Straight outta the tap, y'know?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Patrick.

I was actually a member years ago but I don't know what happened as my old login and password did not work. But either way, as long as I can get on we're good.

Thank you as well for responding to my question. I'm currently meeting with 5 builders and getting quotes. But I am contemplating just learning enough to contract it out myself. I'll start a new thread once it all begins

David

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I'm curious as to what the calcium level is on your fill water? Straight outta the tap, y'know?
    I'm actually going to test it. I have the colorq tester (forget who made it). I'm color blind and the read out is nice. The system has it's limits though as once the FC is above 10 it's basically worthless but for testing CH it should be suffice.
    Previous: Free form 14K, Shotcrete, used BBB
    Current: New home - in talks with builders and contemplating doing it myself..

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish we had R/O options here in the desert.
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

6. Back To Top    #6

What sort of R/O system are you planning on using?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Emini, you might find you don't have the capacity with a residential R/O unit to fill that much, but if you have a whole house softener you can also use that...just watch the gallon meter as you will likely tap that out too and unwittingly switch to raw water
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains