Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Coming Through Plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Coming Through Plaster

All,

I need a sanity check here. We had our pool plastered yesterday. They are supposed to come acid wash and start filling the pool today. This morning however I found what I think is a big issue. There were several spots in the gunite were some ground water was seeping through. The pool builder assured me that was not unusual and once the plaster was done that would take care of the issue. This morning we awoke to find water seeping through the plaster in those same spots. If water can come through into the pool, it can go through out of the pool in my mind. Am I crazy here? Pictures below.

32' 4" by 22' 4" Free Form Gunite Pool. 478 Sq Ft surface area, 95' perimeter, 14,895 Gallon Play Pool. Pentair SVRS, 60 Sq ft DE Filter, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump. 500 Watt LED light. Tegulia Table, Tanning Ledge and 3 Step entry. Plaster: Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Anitgua

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Coming Through Plaster

My thought is once there is water in the pool it would be slightly leaking out of the pool not in it. The pool light probably had water in the conduit that is leaking back into the pool. There usually is a rubber plug in the light fixture around the cord you may want to replace if it has a leak.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the heads up on the light. That could be it. The side area is more my concern. If there is water there it is has to be coming into the pool from the side wall. With the pool about 14ft from the house, my concern is that we are looking at potential foundation issues if water is leaking out of the pool and into the the ground below.
    32' 4" by 22' 4" Free Form Gunite Pool. 478 Sq Ft surface area, 95' perimeter, 14,895 Gallon Play Pool. Pentair SVRS, 60 Sq ft DE Filter, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump. 500 Watt LED light. Tegulia Table, Tanning Ledge and 3 Step entry. Plaster: Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Anitgua

4. Back To Top    #4

It is normal and fine. Once the plaster is wet and cured it will become waterproof.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks pooldv. Our pool builder is having the supervisor of the plaster company look at the pics and provide some feedback. That was areas where we saw some weeping through the gunite (which is totally normal, since gunite is pourous), but we were concerned to see it through the plaster. Thought that would take care of it.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I don't see how this wouldn't cause a color variation on your plaster. You have sections of plaster with a significantly different water/cement ratio as well as different curing methods.

Has the pool been acid washed yet?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

This was prior to acid wash. They did that today and after consultation with pool builder and plaster company we are filling the pool. It has been well documented if we have issues.

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you posted a pic of the pool filled?!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

9. Back To Top    #9

Amanda, not yet. I'll get one up sometime tomorrow!

10. Back To Top    #10

A gunite shell should be watertight, except where penetrations exist. Penetrations will leak and need to be sealed. If there are leaks in other places, there is a structural problem with the shell (like a sand lens or voids due to shadowing). It is not normal and is not okay.

11. Back To Top    #11

Plaster is what makes pool watertight, not gunite. Water seepage in the pool shell is common and is not a problem. More here, Water Seepage through Shotcrete or Gunite Pool Shell
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

http://www.shotcrete.org/media/pdf/A..._PoolRec_4.pdf

Last sentence, first paragraph. The "experts" apparently disagree and so can we.

13. Back To Top    #13

LOL, do experts ever agree? In this case I think we still agree. The paper says essentially watertight with no measurable flow of water. I think this pool shell meets that definition.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

FWIW, I took a look at your build thread and noticed a downspout from the roof that looks like it's directly behind that spot. My thought is no help re: plaster discoloration, and good that you have the issue documented. It crossed my mind that you might have damage to your house perimeter drain that is allowing a build-up of water in that area. It would depend on your soil and a whole lot of other factors, but it might be worth checking it out.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I don't believe that plaster is a waterproof coating either, if I remember correctly the NPC calls it a semi permeable membrane. This is why you can have rebar rust through the surface without any holes or voids. This is also why contractors will apply a waterproofing product prior to plaster in certain applications.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks all. The pool has had water for over a week in it and we are seeing no evidence of an issue. Needsajet, we are addressing the downspout. We are going to put in a underground drain to take the water away from that area. We had noticed that as well. Here are some pics of the pool taken today.

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow, that's looking very inviting. I can imagine enjoying an ice-cold beverage while sitting at that table!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

18. Back To Top    #18

Good news! Pool looks great!
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Can you put your plaster kind and color in your siggy? That is such a pretty color I KNOW some people would love to be able to know what the color is with a glance.

So pretty and inviting!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks all for the comments. Kim, signature line updated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast