New IG Pool Build - Buckeye (Phoenix) AZ - Excited and Impatient!

divaofsongs

Bronze Supporter
Mar 25, 2016
Buckeye, AZ (Phoenix Area)
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here but I have been reading the forum for a long time now and much of the information I learned through this site has helped me in my decisions for this pool build, which is my first ever in-ground pool. While I would love to have the pool for recreational purposes, I am having this pool built for medical reasons. I have a progressive form of multiple sclerosis and I currently use a wheelchair about 90% of the time, so I must have the pool installed so I can use it for physical therapy every day and hopefully regain more and continued use of my legs. I am hoping that with a prescription from the doctor, I might be able to write this off as a medical expense on my taxes next year??? I will apologize in advance for the incredibly long and detailed post, but I want to try to cover all the details in the first post and then update as my project progresses.

We are on a tight budget but wanted a decent size play pool with a sheer decent water feature and we wanted to keep the cost under $30k, preferably $25K. You will see as you read my posts that I am quite frugal. I tend to be able to find the best deals on just about everything. If you are willing to do a little research and legwork, you can get substantial discounts on just about everything. Before I even contacted any pool builders, I obtained a pre-approval for $30k pool loan. We wanted to get that out of the way first and figured we better make sure we could get financing before we wasted time getting estimates and/or our hopes up. We weren’t sure what the costs would be but we knew we could not afford more than $30k, so that is what we applied for. Thankfully, we were approved the next day, so we contacted Shasta, Presidential, Dolphin and Caribbean for estimates.

All 4 were within a few thousand dollars of each other for similar size/specs (listed below) but in the end we went with Caribbean Pools and Spas for several reasons. First of all, they had the best price, coming in at about 15% - 18% lower than the other 3 builders. I did plenty of research and they had great reviews, have been in business 20 years, A+ BBB rating, and their customer service and responsiveness to our questions, phone calls, emails, etc., has been super impressive and any questions we had/have are answered very quickly by email or phone. So far, they are just really on top of things!

Another deciding factor was the estimated time for completion. Shasta gave us an estimate of 3 – 3.5 months, Presidential gave an estimate of 10-12 weeks, Dolphin said about 9-10 weeks, and Caribbean gave us an estimate of 60 days for completion. I have a ton of anxiety and very little patience, so waiting 3+ months was just not an option for me. I would be in a straitjacket before the end of the build if I had to wait that long! So, with the lowest price, a great reputation, good communication, and a 60 day time estimate for time to completion, we chose Caribbean. I will include the timeline for everything below and update it as the project continues, as well as post photos along the way.

One of the setbacks/issues we faced with all the builders was that our back yard already has desert landscape with red landscape rock, 7 large boulders and a dry riverbed of rip rap running through the middle of it, as well as some stepping stones and a huge Sago Palm. All of the builders wanted us to have this all removed and only have dirt where the excavation and decking were to be installed, so we needed to either pay them for the pre-grade or find someone else to do it. Shasta included the pre-grade in their estimate, while Dolphin and Presidential did not, leaving us to try to find someone to do it and add that to the total cost of the pool build. Caribbean offered to have their landscape people do it for an additional $840, which I thought was more than fair since 2 people from Craigslist came out to our home and both estimated around $1,000 to clear the whole yard of rocks and landscaping, leaving only dirt. It is important that we have ALL the rock removed right now because we are having artificial grass installed once the pool is compete, so we want to get it all cleared out now, so we don’t have to pay for the rest of it to be done later. I will post photos of what the back yard looked like this morning, before the pre-grade. They are actually in the middle of doing the pre-grade right now, there is a bulldozer and backhoe sitting in my back yard, they will be back in the morning to complete the job.

So, here is the timeline from initial contact to present with Caribbean and I will update it as we progress through the project. As you will see, they are on this project like white on rice. J Below the timeline I will list the specs of the pool.

3/15/16: Contacted Caribbean Pools and Spas of Gilbert, AZ through their Facebook page and they had their sales rep, Josh, from the Peoria office call me that day. He set an appointment for the next day at noon. They were the 4th company we contacted. We already had estimates from the other 3 builders in hand.

3/16/16: Josh showed up promptly at noon, took photos and measurements of our back yard, then sat down and discussed what we wanted, our budget, and hand drew a free form pool design and decking, based on our verbal description of what we wanted. He did not offer us a 3D view of our pool, ever, and that is the one thing I wish he would have offered us. As a salesperson for a pool company, he can imagine it but I can’t. I want to see it come alive, and the other 3 builders offered this feature, but he did not. To be honest, if we had not already seen our vision in 3D from the other companies providing us with 3D images to see what it would look like, we probably would not have chosen Caribbean, no matter how much less they were, because on paper, we just could not see what it would look like. Luckily we had already seen our desired design in 3D, so we were willing to accept just the paper drawing. For our desired specs, Shasta quoted us $27,650, Presidential quoted us $26,997, and Dolphin quoted us $26,685. During our visit, Josh quoted us $24,150 (including the cost of pre-grade and access wall R&R) for a comparable/very similar pool package the other 3 companies we offering, but he also included a few features that were standard with them but upgrades for the other 3 companies, such as a large Baja shelf, 5 umbrella sleeves, a 10 ft. bench, and 2 Hayward LED colored lights. We told him we would let him know something soon but impressed upon him the fact that time was of the essence and if we chose the, we would want to get this underway quickly.

3/17/16: After discussing with my husband the prior evening, we decided to move forward with Caribbean and asked Josh to email us the contracts. We signed them and faxed them back, along with our pre-approved financing paperwork, then set an appointment for the next day to pick out our tile and decking colors.

3/18/16: Met with Josh at their Peoria office to choose the tile and cool deck/acrylic lace decking colors. He explained we need HOA clearance and city of Buckeye permit to get started, so we went to our HOA office that day and got them to put on letterhead that we did not require HOA approval to build a pool, then took that back to Josh the same day. So, HOA approval, CHECK, out of the way. Now for the permits…….I called the city of Buckeye and spoke with Jeanine, who was head of the permit department. She told me they would issue the permit same day, as long as all the pertinent information was submitted. Perfect!

3/21/16: Spoke with Kathi at the Gilbert location and told her what Jeanine said about the permit being issued the same day. She said they would send someone the next day and let me know but that it normally takes a few weeks to get the permits.

3/22/16: Kathi emailed the very next day to say that Jeanine kept her word and issued the permit the same day…..HOA approval and permit were out of the way and it was only 7 days since I first contacted their company!!!!!!! Whoooo Hoooooo

3/23/16: Kathi called the following day and said the guys would be at my house on Friday the 25th to do the pre-grade, then the layout would take place on Monday the 28th and excavation was set for Tuesday the 29th!

As promised, the guys showed up today to do the pre-grade and they are the same guys who will be doing the excavation on Tuesday, so it looks like we will have our yard excavated just 14 days after my initial contact with Caribbean Pools. So, as I explained earlier, they are really on the ball. So far, I am extremely impressed with them! I will update this thread as we continue the process and add photos and information as we go.

What we are getting for $24,150, includes permits, taxes, pre-grade and R&R:

1,000 Sq. Ft. Pre-grade
Decorative Post-Tension Retaining Wall R&R
Permits
Taxes

75’ Perimeter
27’ X 15’ Free Form Play Pool, 3’ X 5’
8’ Baja Shelf
Large Entrance Steps
10’ Bench Seating
5 Umbrella Sleeves
10,500 Gallons
350 Sq. Ft. Surface Area
650 Interior Area
3’ Wide Perimeter Acrylic Decking
320 Sq. Ft. X-Cel Acrylic Lace Decking Area
Interior Finish: Ultra Poz Blue
2’ Sheer Decent Water Feature
2 Hayward 320 Colored LED Lights
Aqua Naut Automatic Pool Cleaner
Hayward C3030 Filter
Hayward Variable Speed Pump
Skimmer
4 Looped Returns
2 Drains
Aerator
Water Leveler
6” Waterline Tile and Tile Accenting Benches and Steps
All electric, plumbing, light conduit
Pool Layout
Excavation

I may have forgotten a few things but the package includes the completed pool and everything we will need to run and operate the pool. Maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I think I did, but we are very happy with what we got for the money.

I took the liberty of coloring the design layout Josh gave me and added some Fisher Price plants, shrubs, and a really rickety rendition of a bench. Where there is not pool and decking, there will be artificial grass and tall privacy bushes along the back wall/view fence. Art and drawing were never my strong suit. This is really why I wanted to see a 3D image of the project, but for the savings, I will deal with it.

BACKYARD1231.jpg Additional Sleeve X.jpg

I will post backyard photos tomorrow. Thanks for reading my incredibly looooooooooooong post!

Great first post, Welcome :)

The reason your building this pool, I would install a Salt Water Generator, it will save you from hauling bleach on a daily basis and make your life easier.. This decision will take some things away from being used IE: soft rock...

The best thing to know for a new install... YOU are the one paying them for the pool. you have to take care of your pool after they leave, so don't let them install or do things to make their lives easier, do it to make your life easier :)

the rest of your equipment looks good from a first look, I have the same cleaner and love it :) I leave it in the pool all the time and whenever the pump runs it is cleaning.. The filter is perfect size, I have the same size filter and only clean once a year...

SWG, you need 2 to 4 times bigger SWG than recommended, being in AZ I would probably get atleast a 40/45k SWG

I like my curcupool but they have not been around a long time, pentair and hayward have.. since you have hayward equipment that would make the most sense to get

Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Hayward® Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator (with T-CELL-15 Turbo Cell) Salt Pool System

It looks beautiful! I am not a great artist, so I get that (but your coloring is beautiful!) I needed to see things too. Pool studio has a demo mode that will give you a great idea of how things will look in 3D. You cannot save and it has pretty demanding graphics requirements but it was very helpful For me. Good luck

So, the guy is back to finish the pre-grade this morning. This is a lot of work, and we are just getting started! It took several hours yesterday just to get the wall knocked down, I am hoping they will be done with the pre-grade today. As you can see, my back yard is not that big, only about 1,200 sq. ft. The typical tiny back yard for Phoenix and surrounding suburbs.

Well, I thought I was going to add photos, but I keep getting an error message that I have succeeded my limit by X amount of kb's. Any ideas?

I'm glad you decided to share the details. It makes the build more personal. When you mentioned your medical purpose for building, I was curious to see if you would be including a lift like at most commercial/public pools now. Could be something to consider, perhaps from the perspective of including any related prep work (electrical conduit, thick concrete for a footer, etc) that could facilitate an easier installation later if needed/desired.

It is amazing how much an Arizonite can obtain in the way of a pool for the $$.

Many use a site like Photobucket to link photos from. Someone will be able to give you guidance on that process.

I'm glad you decided to share the details. It makes the build more personal. When you mentioned your medical purpose for building, I was curious to see if you would be including a lift like at most commercial/public pools now. Could be something to consider, perhaps from the perspective of including any related prep work (electrical conduit, thick concrete for a footer, etc) that could facilitate an easier installation later if needed/desired.

It is amazing how much an Arizonite can obtain in the way of a pool for the $$.

Many use a site like Photobucket to link photos from. Someone will be able to give you guidance on that process.

We did seriously discuss having a lift installed, but at this point, I can still walk a few steps with my walker and they designed it so I can roll my wheelchair right up to the handrail to get in. I am hoping I never get to where I cannot even take the few steps needed to get in and out of the pool so we decided to only have something like this installed if and when it becomes necessary, hopefully never.

I forgot I have a hosted domain name I can use to host the photos. Thanks so much for your comment and help.

- - - Updated - - -

OH I SO want to see this happen! There are two ways you can share more pics.

1. Become a supporting member here:
CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

This will give you a discount for a good test kit and helps us keep the lights on around here.

2. Photo bucket or such using the img code.

Kim

I actually have a domain name I can host photos from but I would still like to make a small donation to the site as it has helped me a lot. Is there a place where I can just donate money without getting a membership?

Alright, let me try this again....these are before and after photos of the pregrade of our back yard so they can do the layout on Monday and excavate on Tuesday. http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-1.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-2.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-3.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-4.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible for me to post the photos into the thread using hosted photos, without just using the links....where the actual photos show up instead of links to the photos?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you considered a beach entry instead of stairs? To allow for just walking or rolling in to the pool.

Is your pool going to be 3' to 5' deep (not sure if that is what was noted?) because it may get good and warm in the summer. I'm always nagging to go deeper for increased comfort in hot climates, but also more fun IMO. I know some folks out west have pool *coolers* along with heaters. Just something to be aware of.

Have you considered a beach entry instead of stairs? To allow for just walking or rolling in to the pool.

Yes, we discussed that with a couple of builders but since our back yard is so small, the beach entrance would take up a large part of the pool and we decided we would just stay with the Baja shelf and stairs next to it. It is hard for me to wrap my head around how large these steps and shelf are going to be, they look like they would only be a few inches wide on the drawing, but it is in such small scale, it takes a real imagination to see it without a 3D rendering.

Great first post, Welcome :)

The reason your building this pool, I would install a Salt Water Generator, it will save you from hauling bleach on a daily basis and make your life easier.. This decision will take some things away from being used IE: soft rock...

The best thing to know for a new install... YOU are the one paying them for the pool. you have to take care of your pool after they leave, so don't let them install or do things to make their lives easier, do it to make your life easier :)

the rest of your equipment looks good from a first look, I have the same cleaner and love it :) I leave it in the pool all the time and whenever the pump runs it is cleaning.. The filter is perfect size, I have the same size filter and only clean once a year...

SWG, you need 2 to 4 times bigger SWG than recommended, being in AZ I would probably get atleast a 40/45k SWG

I like my curcupool but they have not been around a long time, pentair and hayward have.. since you have hayward equipment that would make the most sense to get

Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Hayward® Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator (with T-CELL-15 Turbo Cell) Salt Pool System

Would you mind if I ask you a few questions?

1. Is this something we can add at a later date or does it have to be done at install?

2. What is the average cost for equipment to make the pool salt water instead of chlorine? (We are on a tight budget and cannot really afford to spend much more.)

3. Do I only need a salt water chlorine generator or is there more to it than that?

4. If we do salt water instead of chlorine, is there anything we might be able to alleviate that will help us absorb the cost of the salt water device?

I have no knowledge of how the salt water system works or what is involved with one but I do have a disease that makes my skin very sensitive and many times I feel like my body is lit on fire, so this would make perfect sense for me.

Thanks for any info.

Nice, a fellow Arizonian! I wish I would have been able to get a quote from Caribbean pools, but they never actually called me back! I think I'm too far west for them, maybe. I ended up going with Dolphin myself, they were most competitive out of the bunch, but I'm sure you'll be getting your pool done much faster which makes me a bit jealous!

Dolphin was certainly our 1st. choice for a long time and we almost went with them, in fact, we had an appointment set to sign the papers last Thursday, but as I was researching pool stuff, I saw an advertisement on Google for Caribbean having a 20-year anniversary special package for $18,995 and it prompted me to contact them to see if I could get a quote before Thursday when we signed with Dolphin. I contacted Caribbean through their Facebook page and told them if they can get someone out to see us before Thursday when we were due to sign with Dolphin, that we would consider their quote. They had Josh Smithey call me within the hour and he came to my house the very next day to give the estimate. I had already done some research on them and knew they were one of the top companies in the area, so I felt comfortable with the decision to include them in the quotes. By the time we met with Caribbean, we knew exactly what we wanted, so at that time, it was all down to price and construction time.

We did not end up going with the 20th anniversary special, instead, they have another special right now that gives a flat 12% off their normal prices, including the landscaping they did, so it worked out better for us.....I think, LOL. By the way, Caribbean now has a Peoria location, located in the Wells Fargo building, just outside the Peoria Sports Complex. I live out in Buckeye, off the I-10 and Miller Rd., so I think I have you beat on the too far west part. :) I talked with Kimble at Dolphin, he was incredible and I really was on the edge with them but Caribbean just felt right and with the savings on cost and 60 day build time, we felt we really had no choice. I also like that Caribbean offers as many umbrella sleeves as we wanted at no charge, and they include a large Baja shelf and up to two 8-10 ft. benches and 2 Hayward Colored LED lights as standard features. These things would have cost us at least $1,000 more with the other 3 builders. Oh, and they also use accent tiles around the Baja shelf, steps and benches as standard, this was an upgrade with all the other 3.

Dolphin was certainly our 1st. choice for a long time and we almost went with them, in fact, we had an appointment set to sign the papers last Thursday, but as I was researching pool stuff, I saw an advertisement on Google for Caribbean having a 20-year anniversary special package for $18,995 and it prompted me to contact them to see if I could get a quote before Thursday when we signed with Dolphin. I contacted Caribbean through their Facebook page and told them if they can get someone out to see us before Thursday when we were due to sign with Dolphin, that we would consider their quote. They had Josh Smithey call me within the hour and he came to my house the very next day to give the estimate. I had already done some research on them and knew they were one of the top companies in the area, so I felt comfortable with the decision to include them in the quotes. By the time we met with Caribbean, we knew exactly what we wanted, so at that time, it was all down to price and construction time.

We did not end up going with the 20th anniversary special, instead, they have another special right now that gives a flat 12% off their normal prices, including the landscaping they did, so it worked out better for us.....I think, LOL. By the way, Caribbean now has a Peoria location, located in the Wells Fargo building, just outside the Peoria Sports Complex. I live out in Buckeye, off the I-10 and Miller Rd., so I think I have you beat on the too far west part. :) I talked with Kimble at Dolphin, he was incredible and I really was on the edge with them but Caribbean just felt right and with the savings on cost and 60 day build time, we felt we really had no choice. I also like that Caribbean offers as many umbrella sleeves as we wanted at no charge, and they include a large Baja shelf and up to two 8-10 ft. benches and 2 Hayward Colored LED lights as standard features. These things would have cost us at least $1,000 more with the other 3 builders. Oh, and they also use accent tiles around the Baja shelf, steps and benches as standard, this was an upgrade with all the other 3.

Hah, yeah, you are more West! I guess I should have said too far NorthWest, I'm in Vistancia, the NW edge of Peoria. I didn't know they had a new office, weird, I wonder why I never got a call back. Well, I'm just glad that we have so many solid and competitive builders here, compared to other states we get great deals on our pools it seems. Did Caribbean warn you about potential hard dig increasing your price? I think we're going to end up with one over here :(

Grats on your pool! I look forward to watching the build :)

Hah, yeah, you are more West! I guess I should have said too far NorthWest, I'm in Vistancia, the NW edge of Peoria. I didn't know they had a new office, weird, I wonder why I never got a call back. Well, I'm just glad that we have so many solid and competitive builders here, compared to other states we get great deals on our pools it seems. Did Caribbean warn you about potential hard dig increasing your price? I think we're going to end up with one over here :(

Grats on your pool! I look forward to watching the build :)

Yes, they did warn us but to date, there has only been one hard dig within 7 miles of my house and that was on the other side of the I-10, close to a mountain. There are over 40 pools in our housing community and not one of them have been a hard dig, so we are not anticipating any issues....fingers crossed....and eyes, too! :)

I have a neighbor who just had an almost identical pool as far as features and size, as the one you described in your thread which I just finished reading. They also used Caribbean and she said they paid a little under $30K for everything, so your pricing is pretty close to that. I think you are getting a good deal and NO HARD DIG! I will have faith with you..... NO HARD DIG!

Yes, they did warn us but to date, there has only been one hard dig within 7 miles of my house and that was on the other side of the I-10, close to a mountain. There are over 40 pools in our housing community and not one of them have been a hard dig, so we are not anticipating any issues....fingers crossed....and eyes, too! :)

I have a neighbor who just had an almost identical pool as far as features and size, as the one you described in your thread which I just finished reading. They also used Caribbean and she said they paid a little under $30K for everything, so your pricing is pretty close to that. I think you are getting a good deal and NO HARD DIG! I will have faith with you..... NO HARD DIG!

Ooh lucky you! My chances are about the opposite, probably about 50% to 90% chance up here to get hard digs, we're all next to the mountains. My only saving grace may be that the house might have been built on top of filler, since we're slightly elevated above the rest of the neighborhood by what looks like an artificial ridge made by bulldozing. I'm building a deeper diving pool though, so my chances are that much worse. So yep, I'm crossing all my fingers and my toes and praying to the dirt gods!

I wanted to share some of my ideas for dressing up the pool and deck area, since we are not spending much money to add special features like waterfalls and coping, etc. The only thing we have besides the basic pool and interior Baja shelves and benches is a 2' sheer decent water feature, so decor will play a huge role in making it look nice. I will list some of my ideas and the pricing I have found and if anyone has any other ideas or better pricing, please let me know.

Artificial Grass: When the pool is complete we will be having artificial grass installed in the remainder of the yard. It is approximately 500 sq. ft. and I found a place on Craigslist that will do it for $4.25 per sq. ft. and that is everything, out the door....product, install and all materials and cleanup. My other option is.......I found a place that has a nice artificial grass for $1.60 sq. ft. and I found a guy who will install it for $1.50 sq. ft. as long as I buy all the materials. That route would save us a few hundred dollars so we might do that.

Patio Concrete Upgrade: I am having my 8' X 36' patio concrete acid stained for $1 per sq. ft. and the color will be almost identical to the acrylic decking. I am waiting until after the pool is built because once the people get here to spray the acrylic lace for the pool decking, I am going to offer them $1.50-$2.00 a sq. ft. to just apply it on my patio concrete as well, on the side, if they will, so it will all match. If not, I will go with the acid wash. The pool builder wants to charge us $4.00 sq. ft. so I know I can get them to do it for about 1/2 that price the day they come out to do it.

Fire Pit: I have a friend who has agreed to build us a 48" stone fire pit, if we buy all the materials. All she wants is a case of Red Bull and $50, so that is a no-brainer! She does great work, too.

Living Privacy Fence: Our back wall is not a wall, it is a view fence and I want to cover it up with huge flowering plants. I found a place that sells Pam's Pink Honeysuckle which grows to be about 5' tall by 4' wide, for $12 each and Oleander's, which grow to be about the same size, for $13 each. I ordered 5 of each and the man will plant them for $100, so for less than $250, I will have a gorgeous living privacy fence.

9-Ft. Umbrellas: I will be adding four or five 9-Ft. Market Umbrellas to the pool. One on the bench, one on the Baja shelf, and 2 on the outside of the pool ledge. I got them for $32.51 each with free shipping. They are the highest rated/lowest cost of all the 9-ft. umbrellas I have researched.

Furniture: We found a cute wicker table with chairs for the patio/decking area and only paid $50 for it from Craigslist.
03262016-88.jpg

Attachments

• 03262016-7.jpg
    03262016-7.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 574

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.