Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on valve replacement in close quarters

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on valve replacement in close quarters

I have a handy valve with a crazy K on the bottom. It's 2" on one side and then connects to a 1.5 on the other where there is T and another valve. The connections are right up against each other a d I am looking for options that doesn't involve me replacing the entire stack.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on valve replacement in close quarters

Welcome to TFP!

Please post pictures.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Also, please add your state to your location. Climate is often important in pool care. And you can add your pool info to your signature if you want. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought this house two years ago with the pool and have read every last page of this forum learning about it. I just updated my signature but I am in the process of switching out all the equipment since it was put in with the pool in 02 and is starting to fail. I have attached the two pictures of the plumbing issue I originally posted about.
    2016-03-25 18.59.35.jpg2016-03-25 18.59.23.jpg
    Last edited by Jkuter; 03-26-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add signature
    34x18 ~25K Gallon Inground Pool, vinyl liner (I have no idea whats under it) with 4 person inground hot tub. Just now installing Raypak 400K BTU Propane (replace 15yr old 333 Raypak), Pentaire Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320sq/ft (replacing 250lb Hayward Sand), Pentaire VS 1.5HP (replacing Hayward 1HP Super Pump), Hayward AQR15 Salt Ionizer (replace hayward chlorinator). Nautilus pool robot. I live in New England in the woods.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jkuter View Post
    I have a handy valve with a crazy K on the bottom
    Sorry this should say I have a Jandy Valve with a crack on the bottom.
    34x18 ~25K Gallon Inground Pool, vinyl liner (I have no idea whats under it) with 4 person inground hot tub. Just now installing Raypak 400K BTU Propane (replace 15yr old 333 Raypak), Pentaire Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320sq/ft (replacing 250lb Hayward Sand), Pentaire VS 1.5HP (replacing Hayward 1HP Super Pump), Hayward AQR15 Salt Ionizer (replace hayward chlorinator). Nautilus pool robot. I live in New England in the woods.

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like it has already been replumbed once. Jandy valves have a 1-1/2" inside and 2" outside or 2" inside and 2-1/2" outside diameter. So that you can cut the pipe flush to the valve end and use the side that hasn't been used before. Usually they are plumbed on the inside first time and outside second time. You could do that with the valve on the right in the bottom pic. But, the valve on the left is using the outside diameter now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like the typical pool builder "compact" pad they are always so proud of where you almost always have to cut out everything to fix a single problem. I wish pool builders and new pool owners would stop thinking, smaller is better for plumbing layout.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

[deleted for new thread]
    Last edited by Jkuter; 03-26-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: deleted for new post

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It looks like it has already been replumbed once. Jandy valves have a 1-1/2" inside and 2" outside or 2" inside and 2-1/2" outside diameter. So that you can cut the pipe flush to the valve end and use the side that hasn't been used before. Usually they are plumbed on the inside first time and outside second time. You could do that with the valve on the right in the bottom pic. But, the valve on the left is using the outside diameter now.
    Ahh I get it now, take the whole section out past the T, that makes a lot of sense, I'll go for the and replace the valve and 90 on the other side. Thanks.