Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Monitoring Chemistry While on Vacaction

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Monitoring Chemistry While on Vacaction

As a new spa owner, I am interested in the recommendations of the group regarding monitoring of the spa chemistry while on vacation. I plan to be out of town for about 2 weeks. As indicated on my sig line, I have a 2,200 gallon SWG spa with an auto cover. Ideally I would prefer not to have someone check the spa while I am away. However, I will do whatever is necessary. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you kindly.

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Monitoring Chemistry While on Vacaction

You have a SWG, so the spa should be fine while you are away.

What adjustments are you typically making over 2 weeks while you are home?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

When I go on vaca I dial in my SWG to hold FC a couple of points above target for my CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. Then I add bleach to raise it shock level. My PH rises so I lower PH to 7.2.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I drop the PH before I leave and that is it, I also have a SWG in my spa, the single best thing I did to it I went for a month and had no issues what so ever..

Because I leave so much I have dropped my TA lower than TFP recommendations.. I am at TA 30 so in a month with no bubbles because of use my PH went from 7.2 to 7.6... With that said, this lower TA has its issues, like only using a capful of MA to drop from 7.5/6 to 7.2 in 700 gallons... I have crashed it 2 times and needed to add baking soda to bring my TA back up to 30

The second best thing I did was put a 100sf cart filter in it...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You have a SWG, so the spa should be fine while you are away.

What adjustments are you typically making over 2 weeks while you are home?
    Jason: Since I am new to water chemistry & the SWG won't be activated until next week, I really don't have everything dialed in yet. Over a 2-week period, I seemed to be fine tuning TA, CH & pH (using bleach for now).

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

6. Back To Top    #6

So if I am reading between the lines correctly, by bumping up the FC level before leaving on vacation this will assure a sanitized spa. And lowering the pH level will compensate for the absence of aeration while being out of town. Am I thinking correctly here?

Kit
    Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Not quite. The pH tends to rise just due to the SWG functioning. So by lowering the pH, it will not get to high for too long. Aeration actually makes the pH rise faster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Not quite. The pH tends to rise just due to the SWG functioning. So by lowering the pH, it will not get to high for too long. Aeration actually makes the pH rise faster.
    Thank you. Not sure that I was aware of this. Is the pH level rising due to the additional chlorine being generated by the SWG? If so, is pH affected similarly when chlorine is manually added to the water?

Kit
    Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The SWG creates little bubbles which aerate and raise the pH.

Adding chlorine does in fact raise the pH, but as it is consumed, the pH drops back down. So effectively, the bleach is pH neutral.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Aha! I get it. Thanks for "schooling" me. This water chemistry thing is certainly (shall I say) "involved"; but, nevertheless, enjoyable. Thank you.

Kit
    Kit