Resurface and coping question on north DFW TX

NorthOfDallas

Gold Supporter
Jan 19, 2013
The Colon(y), Tx
Hey guys,
I am using a plaster company to do our reservice on our 1994 SWCG pool. We are going with the white plaster with 30% blue Quartz on their recommendation for longevity. I've researched it quite a bit and with our budget and our long-term outlook, that does make sense for us even though a pebble would be nice too.

My question is, we are keeping the flagstone coping in place but replacing the tile. When you see the pic below, the top of the spa curvature will be covered in new flagstone. Obviously, there's no way to get it to match perfectly. With a sunbleached as my coping currently is, I was kind of thinking about using a concrete-type stain to refresh it and to make it possibly match better.

Since this pool has been CWCG it's whole life, should I be concerned with how much salt is embedded in the pores of the stone over the last 20 years as it relates to using a stain?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I appreciate any guidance you can share.

2a220bc14af537fc0ed187b1654bd4fa.jpg

2db33fff9e1dfbba37d3033e167b7647.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask why you are removing/replacing that part of the coping? From the picture it looks to be in good shape.

That may help us help you.

Kim

I guess I should clarify, the coping around the pool is staying put, the tile that is on top of the pool/spa edge is getting replaced (those tiles are temporary fill for the originals that all came off) with more stone. Romo's said that if we re-tile the top, that with a SWCG they are likely to pop again, due to the embedded salt in the mastic, but the mortar used for flagstone is much more hardy in this environment.

The current flagstone is faded, though. Which is what gave me the idea of using a stain.

Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: thanks for helping Kim!

GOT ya!! Okay you want to take that pretty blue tile all the way off :( If you must........BUT I will tell you that MANY of the pools here in TFP have water line tile AND SWGs so....

Why can't they use the same stuff they are going to use on the stone to hold the tile on? (This is an honest question. I don't really know about this kind of thing so asking to make sure we both understand.)

The coping-------to ME it looks fine. I do not notice any "fading" BUT I did not see it when it was new. Do you WANT to change it? I would worry about the salt and chlorine messing up the stain more than just the "plain" flagstone. I wonder if you could do a "test" to see how a stain on stone reacts to the pool water. It would be easy to try...get a piece of flagstone and put some stain on it and put it in the water and see what happens over about the month.

Just throwing out ideas to see if any of them help you out.

Kim

I would just pressure wash with some mild acidic soap/cleaner before you apply the sealer.. the Prep needed should be in the sealer directions. Remember with sealers they will need to be reapplied at certain intervals and they are not cheap.. But they sure look good :)

The Tile installer should be able to get a mix that will work just like the rock... if they say x works better for stone tell them to use x for your tile :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As someone who tried to match existing decking to new decking (imho it failed), I would suggest using a different material altogether so it doesn't look like you tried to match it. Maybe use the same tile or something that goes with that?

Jamie,
Can you share a pic of it so we can see it in real life?

Sorry, I wish I could help... We didn't go with that exact tile, but I had admired it when we were picking so I remembered it. The one we went with also has some variation in the color which I like, not only because I like each color, but I knew it would blend with whatever color the plaster ended up giving the water. The Siren is really pretty!

Here is a link to a thread where they used Siren. Hopefully it gives you a good idea. You can see the tile installed on page 6, then with water in later pictures.
New Build Largo, Florida - Page 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.