Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurface and coping question on north DFW TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Resurface and coping question on north DFW TX

Hey guys,
    I am using a plaster company to do our reservice on our 1994 SWCG pool. We are going with the white plaster with 30% blue Quartz on their recommendation for longevity. I've researched it quite a bit and with our budget and our long-term outlook, that does make sense for us even though a pebble would be nice too.

My question is, we are keeping the flagstone coping in place but replacing the tile. When you see the pic below, the top of the spa curvature will be covered in new flagstone. Obviously, there's no way to get it to match perfectly. With a sunbleached as my coping currently is, I was kind of thinking about using a concrete-type stain to refresh it and to make it possibly match better.

Since this pool has been CWCG it's whole life, should I be concerned with how much salt is embedded in the pores of the stone over the last 20 years as it relates to using a stain?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I appreciate any guidance you can share.

Last edited by kimkats; 03-25-2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Mod note-Company name removed
    15k in-ground pool, plaster, Aquapure 1400 (whole new cell/cables/sensor 5/25/15), Pentaire Cartridge filter, Ruud heater(2/13), Polaris 360 pressure side cleaner (10/14), some other stuff...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Resurface and coping question on north DFW TX

May I ask why you are removing/replacing that part of the coping? From the picture it looks to be in good shape.

That may help us help you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    May I ask why you are removing/replacing that part of the coping? From the picture it looks to be in good shape.

That may help us help you.

Kim
    I guess I should clarify, the coping around the pool is staying put, the tile that is on top of the pool/spa edge is getting replaced (those tiles are temporary fill for the originals that all came off) with more stone. Romo's said that if we re-tile the top, that with a SWCG they are likely to pop again, due to the embedded salt in the mastic, but the mortar used for flagstone is much more hardy in this environment.

The current flagstone is faded, though. Which is what gave me the idea of using a stain.

Does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: thanks for helping Kim!
    15k in-ground pool, plaster, Aquapure 1400 (whole new cell/cables/sensor 5/25/15), Pentaire Cartridge filter, Ruud heater(2/13), Polaris 360 pressure side cleaner (10/14), some other stuff...

4. Back To Top    #4

GOT ya!! Okay you want to take that pretty blue tile all the way off If you must........BUT I will tell you that MANY of the pools here in TFP have water line tile AND SWGs so....

Why can't they use the same stuff they are going to use on the stone to hold the tile on? (This is an honest question. I don't really know about this kind of thing so asking to make sure we both understand.)

The coping-------to ME it looks fine. I do not notice any "fading" BUT I did not see it when it was new. Do you WANT to change it? I would worry about the salt and chlorine messing up the stain more than just the "plain" flagstone. I wonder if you could do a "test" to see how a stain on stone reacts to the pool water. It would be easy to try...get a piece of flagstone and put some stain on it and put it in the water and see what happens over about the month.

Just throwing out ideas to see if any of them help you out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, we'll be replacing the waterline tiles, just not the horizontal ones.

Take a look below for our choice:

6. Back To Top    #6

OH! I like that! You are "allowed" use those LOL! PRETTY!

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

Those tiles look very pretty! Is the pattern called Siren, by any chance? (It just looks kind of familiar.)
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Exactly!!! Siren it is.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    Those tiles look very pretty! Is the pattern called Siren, by any chance? (It just looks kind of familiar.)
    Jamie,
    Can you share a pic of it so we can see it in real life?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I would just pressure wash with some mild acidic soap/cleaner before you apply the sealer.. the Prep needed should be in the sealer directions. Remember with sealers they will need to be reapplied at certain intervals and they are not cheap.. But they sure look good

The Tile installer should be able to get a mix that will work just like the rock... if they say x works better for stone tell them to use x for your tile
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

As someone who tried to match existing decking to new decking (imho it failed), I would suggest using a different material altogether so it doesn't look like you tried to match it. Maybe use the same tile or something that goes with that?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by NorthOfDallas View Post
    Jamie,
    Can you share a pic of it so we can see it in real life?
    Sorry, I wish I could help... We didn't go with that exact tile, but I had admired it when we were picking so I remembered it. The one we went with also has some variation in the color which I like, not only because I like each color, but I knew it would blend with whatever color the plaster ended up giving the water. The Siren is really pretty!

Here is a link to a thread where they used Siren. Hopefully it gives you a good idea. You can see the tile installed on page 6, then with water in later pictures.
    New Build Largo, Florida - Page 6
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Yes, Siren = Nice.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Siren is really pretty!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

15. Back To Top    #15

So, it's happening. However, after the beginning of demo we learned that the Siren tile is on a week or so backorder. Ah well...pics

And an in-pool family selfie:

16. Back To Top    #16

Lol @ family selfie. The kids look excited!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

17. Back To Top    #17

CUTE pic! Love the selfie!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

So, our tile that we loved was on backorder and we had to find an alternative. We're very happy with the stone match, take a look.

They are currently installing the tile, I will post pictures soon.

19. Back To Top    #19

20. Back To Top    #20

I love your alternate tile! We just installed Siren on our build, and it is gorgeous, too!
    Water in, we're swimming! IG 18x29 gunite, 3.5-6.5 depth, 14,000 gallons approx, 1 skimmer, Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Tristar VSP, 20 ft. raised bond beam with sprayers, 40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers, 7 ft round attached spa, Hayward 250k heater, quartz plaster, travertine coping, approx 800 sq feet acrylic deck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast