Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Connecting a Stenner

1. Back To Top    #1

Connecting a Stenner

Can I use this to connect a Stenner?

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R17231...AR8JC8S5PN65XF

I would cap the larger outlet and put the Stenner into the 1/2" outlet. Or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Connecting a Stenner

I just put this on today:
    Hayward Elbow Adapter with 1/4 Tap SPX1105Z4TC | Hayward SPX1105Z4TC
    It's 1/4" pipe thread....I don't know if it's any better than what you're proposing though....
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

3. Back To Top    #3

Drill a 7/16" hole in the return line after the heater and tap it with a 1/4-18 NPT tap. Wrap the injector threads with 3-4 turns of teflon tape and screw it in. Thats all you need to do and it will work fine. Some people drill the hole into an elbow because there is more meat there, but either right into the pipe or an elbow is fine.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fauxQ View Post
    Can I use this to connect a Stenner?

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R17231...AR8JC8S5PN65XF

I would cap the larger outlet and put the Stenner into the 1/2" outlet. Or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Jay
    better solution, just stop,by Lowes or Home Depot. They have a similar fitting without the large outlet you said you would cap.

It's probably $5 rather than $18 on Amazon.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gary300 View Post
    Drill a 7/16" hole in the return line after the heater and tap it with a 1/4-18 NPT tap. Wrap the injector threads with 3-4 turns of teflon tape and screw it in. Thats all you need to do and it will work fine. Some people drill the hole into an elbow because there is more meat there, but either right into the pipe or an elbow is fine.
    That's how I did it. Very easy to do. If your hesitant to drill pvc pipe practice on a spare piece. I think the drill and tap are under $10 at Lowes.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all! Very helpful.

I think I'll snag one of those NPT taps.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I went to Lowes and purchased a 2 inch slip T connection with a threaded 1/2 inch. I also purchased a 1/2 inch plug. The stenner is then screwed into the 1/2 inch thread and when not in use or want to repair the Stenner I can remove the injection point and use the plug and continue to run the pool.

PVC.jpg
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would just put a 1/2" ball valve in place of a plug.
    ~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by espejo View Post
    I went to Lowes and purchased a 2 inch slip T connection with a threaded 1/2 inch. I also purchased a 1/2 inch plug. The stenner is then screwed into the 1/2 inch thread and when not in use or want to repair the Stenner I can remove the injection point and use the plug and continue to run the pool.

PVC.jpg
    thanks. I couldn't find a piece like that at my local big box store, but found one online and it was delivered for ~$6. The ball valve is a good idea, but would that put the delivery point too far out of the stream?
    Jay--Metro NYC

10. Back To Top    #10

I would not think so, you can get some pretty small PVC/plastic style ball valves. Just need to be sure it's something that can handle chemical. I was just thinking it would be handy if you ever need to disconnect, simply close the valve and not shut anything down.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lykly View Post
    I would not think so, you can get some pretty small PVC/plastic style ball valves. Just need to be sure it's something that can handle chemical. I was just thinking it would be handy if you ever need to disconnect, simply close the valve and not shut anything down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    any PVC ball valve from the big box stores should work.

Like you say, I have one and it works well when you want to pull things apart for any reason.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon