Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter & 2-Speed Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter & 2-Speed Pump?

I recently purchased a pool with a DE filter and I am still awaiting delivery. I contacted the salesman to see if I could change the 1.5HP pump to a 2 stage pump. The sale person said that DE filters don't work well with 2 stage pumps? Is that True??
    18x33 Oval Above Ground
    Hayward 2HP 2 Speed
    EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward 150k NG Heater
    Vision Pro inline Chorinator TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter & 2-Speed Pump?

Nope. That is what I have with no issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, that is not true. All filters work better with pumps running at low speed or at lower speed on variable speed pumps. And you save lots of money on electricity. 2 speed pump is highly recommended.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your help! I thought that sounded strange and I will insist on a 2 stage then.
    18x33 Oval Above Ground
    Hayward 2HP 2 Speed
    EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward 150k NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    No, that is not true. All filters work better with pumps running at low speed or at lower speed on variable speed pumps. And you save lots of money on electricity. 2 speed pump is highly recommended.
    How much money? My PB said it's more of a sales gimmick and 1 speed Hayward 1.5HP is enough for the pool I'm getting. There is a $700 difference for the VSP....is it worth it? Thanks!
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    How much money? My PB said it's more of a sales gimmick and 1 speed Hayward 1.5HP is enough for the pool I'm getting. There is a $700 difference for the VSP....is it worth it? Thanks!
    Generally for a 2-speed pump (cheaper than the VS), a single speed is the same as high speed. On low speed, it moved 1/2 the water but uses 1/4 the amount of electricity. So even if you doubled the run time on low to move the same amount of water (not usually needed), you would still be saving 50% of the electrical costs. And the $$ number depends on your cost of power and how much you run.

Generally a VS may not make sense unless you have very expensive power and/or get large rebates.

Switching to a 2-speed from a 1-speed can often be done by just changing the motor which is a lot cheaper than buying a new VS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I insisted on the 2 stage pump and they were very reluctant Do it because the DE filter comes prepackaged with the 1.5hp pump in the same box as the filter. They were just being lazy! So it's a 2hp two stage hayward. Pool is getting installed today. I am on a well so water is being delivered Thursday to finish filling it. Any tips would be appreciated!
    18x33 Oval Above Ground
    Hayward 2HP 2 Speed
    EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward 150k NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

2 horsepower is a bit of Overkill. A 1 horsepower would be plenty big.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is where to start with on taking care of your water, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

The choice of single speed, 2 speed or variable speed pump has a lot to do with cost of electricity where you live and how long the paypack time is. For just about everyone a 2 speed pump makes sense economically with payback typically in under 2 years for most people.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

That was the only option they gave me for the 2 stage pump. I have also read everything in pool school and purchased TF-100 kit with XL option and the speed stir. I was just wondering about anything that I should look out for or should absolutely do because of the new installation.
    18x33 Oval Above Ground
    Hayward 2HP 2 Speed
    EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward 150k NG Heater