PVC Primer and Fittings

scott.lopez

Gold Supporter
Oct 25, 2015
Frisco, TX
We are putting a new pool in and I've been watching the construction process very carefully. All of the pipes that are underground and around the equipment pad use primer and glue. Today a worker was out putting in the spa fittings and pool fittings. I asked him why he wasn't using primer but was instead just using a gray glue on the schedule 40 PVC, he said that if the primer gets into the threads that it makes screwing in the fixtures difficult. I have no idea if this is correct or not, what do you experts think?

The good news at least is that if I do have a problem that the fixtures can be reached and dealt with, we might have to dig into the pebble sheen a little bit but at least we wouldn't have to blow up the concrete.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not everyone agrees on the need for cleaner or primer. As long as the pipe and fittings are clean and all proper procedures are followed, the joint should be good. I prefer using a cleaner.

Primer cleans and softens the PVC,, I always use it. Although you mention threads? Typically threads aren't glued,,, you would use teflon (tape or paste) on the threads when you screw on the appliance,, or did he mean he didn't want to get primer on the threads - when he is gluing the threaded piece of PVC to the joining PVC? If so that sounds like a sloppy plumber.

Primer cleans and softens the PVC,, I always use it. Although you mention threads? Typically threads aren't glued,,, you would use teflon (tape or paste) on the threads when you screw on the appliance,, or did he mean he didn't want to get primer on the threads - when he is gluing the threaded piece of PVC to the joining PVC? If so that sounds like a sloppy plumber.

The glue applied to the sleeve that does not have threads, he did not apply the primer to the sleeve portion. The worker indicated that he was concerned that the threads would be impacted if he were to get the primer on it.

- - - Updated - - -

These are accessible points, worst case scenario. I would have liked for them to use the primer but at least there is a way to do the fix if an issue occurs.

I will ask them why they didn't prime and see if they come back with a reasonable explanation.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, very helpful.

One thing to note here is that Clear Cleaner, and Primer are basically the same thing, except cleaner may be weaker.

They were using a gray glue. He cut the pipe, then took a hack saw blade and scraped all of the gunite off then he wiped it with his glove several times to make sure there wasn't any extra material. He then used the gray glue, no cleaner prior to the gray glue.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. I'd be willing to bet that most pool fittings were installed the exact way you've described, I know for a fact that mine and every other pool the plaster guy has done were.

For some reassurance, there are many areas that do not require the use of primer, at all, and this is on pressurized lines that see well over 100 PSI. Look at the back of a can of glue, even it says "can be used without primer unless required by the local building authority."

Furthermore, the return fittings see little pressure (if any) and they have the plaster holding them in place. You essentially have a glued joint encased in concrete that sees little to no stress...this is a non issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No glue or primer should be hot to the touch.

Also, all pvc glue has most of the ingredients that are in primer, such as mek and acetone.

If the glue feels hot to you, I would suspect that you might be sensitive to one or more of the ingredients.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.