Pool light replacement

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
I am looking for a new light fixture but I have a few questions.

If I buy a white light fixture could I buy a colored light later? Or does the white light have to stay white?

I have an old light fixture in there now. The model number says R500BC, which through some googling, translates to a now Pentair Amerlite. Are their any other light manufactures that I can go with or does it have to stay Pentair?

Where do people go online to get a cheaper new light fixture? Thanks for any answers/suggestions.

EDIT: If I only have an on/off switch now and want to switch to a Intellibrite 5G do I need the controller?

EDIT 2: Really I just want a color light, don't want to have to wire anything extra (other than the light itself), and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Thanks again!

You need a new fixture or a new bulb?

There are incandescent color bulbs and some incandescent changing lights. But, most color changing lights are LEDs. LEDs are expensive but you generally love them in the end.

A new fixture requires removing the old one and pulling the cord through the conduit to the junction box. It can be difficult and requires some electrical knowledge.

I would call Inyo Pool or In the Swim explain what you have and what you want to have and they can tell you what they can do for you. There are tons of possibilities limited only by money and your willingness to change things.

So...yes a fixture. Leads are shorted together when completely disconnected and it looks to be burnt and the resin inside the fixture is cracked. Probably got some water in there and had a little party inside my fixture.
I have absolutely no worries about electrical. I can do that all day. It's what I do for work.
I didn't know about In the Swim so I will have to check that out.
Also yes I see the money restriction already. Who knew a light could be so expensive!!!

After giving it some thought we don't have a heater on the pool and are very rarely swimming past dusk. So I'm just going to go with a white LED for those times when I do want to light it up. Thanks for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.