Old IG Vinyl Pool Upgrade Adding Salt, Automation etc. - Advice needed

May 22, 2014
Claremont, ON
Hi All,

This year is the year I have decided to bring my circa 1995 IG pool to he 21st century! It will be my 3rd summer with this pool and while using the TFP method is "easy" I'm growing tired of checking chlorine all the time and my wife will be home this summer with our new baby due in a couple weeks so I want to make it easy for her (at least that's what I'm telling her lol) I'm very technical and love gadgets and automation but I'm finding it not the most straight forward on where to start so looking for help. I wish company's like Hayward allowed you to easily put together a bundle but I guess that's the the local pool store is supposed to be.....I rather try and avoid them.

Here's what my system is now, very basic:

-Pool is vinyl, 16x34 humpback kidney ~17.5k Gal, liner is 12years old and faded but I am likely only changing that next year
-1.5" piping
-Only has 1 skimmer and 2 returns, looks like there used to be a main drain but no longer hooked up (pipe in pool shed but nothing at bottom of the pool) I will look to re-connect it when we change the liner if the pipe isn't cracked as I find heating a 8ft deep end pool hard when just taking in water from the top, in my mind it would make more sense to take some of the colder water from the bottom as well, right?
-Old 1speed pump
-8yr old Raypack Natural Gas Heater that works well
-Sand Filter, new sand 2 summers ago, seems to work well
-Intermatic manual timer that doesn't work half the time

That's it! lol

I want the system to be easy and for the most part hands off on a daily basis. I would like to be able to program when the pump runs, how much chlorine and when the pool cleans etc. so looking to add:

-Salt System
-Automation
-VS pump
-Robotic Cleaner

I have been looking at Hayward Pro-Logic or OmniLogic and Zodiac iAqualink.

Here's what I'm thinking

Hayward
-Pro-Logic or OmniLogic Controller
-25k Gal T-Cell-9
-MaxFlo or EcoStar VS pump

Zodiac
iAquaLink Automation Complete Bundle Includes:
-iAquaLink IQ900 Web Connect Device
-6612F Power Center Enclosure
-RS-P4 Power Center Electronics
-Four 3 Hp Relays
-Aquapure EI Salt System
-Jandy FloPro VS Pump

Neither of the systems that I have seen incorporate a robotic cleaner in their automation, I could have missed it though so if not I'll just program that independently.

From what I gather, the Hayward system has a lot more options and seems a little more robust, Pro-Logic being pretty decently priced and almost on par with the Zodiac system and OmniLogic being pretty expensive but on both you can add things like the ORP and PH Sensing kits, CO2 dispenser or Acid dispenser all cost more $$ but might be nice to add something here and there to complete the full automation.

I only have 120V to my pool shed so for the Hayward I would need to run 240V which would be a pain, looks like the Zodiac based system can run off 120V feed and uses transformer relays for 240V items like pool pump. I have a couple Electrician Friends so if I have to buy some beer and have 240 run to the pool shed I can make that work.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions/examples of what you used?

I only know about the Hayward systems, but will offer my thoughts.
1. We recommend a SWG cell be sized for 2-3 times the size of your pool. I would recommend getting the 40k cells for your pool.
2. No automation systems that I am aware of control a robot cleaner. I think some of the newer ones have their own controls to set them to run for certain amount of time per day. Maybe there is a way to get tricky and have the robot powered off a relay that the automation could turn on and off and maybe the robot can be setup to run a program when powered up? Remember, the robots need to be pulled out of the pool and cleaned every few days depending on how dirty your pool is.
3. I would NOT!! recommend going with an ORP sensor system to try to regulate chlorine. They are just not reliable.
4. pH automation I think is better than the ORP sensor stuff, but still require frequent calibration and adjustments.
5. Nearly all VS or 2-speed pumps will require a 240V supply I think. So you need to figure out your power supply before you go very far on this project.

Really, no amount of reasonably priced automation is going to let you be hands off. You will still need to test the water every few days to make sure things are balanced and adjust the SWG output or pH control as needed.

The automation systems are able to turn valves, so that could allow you to use a suction or pressure cleaner, but given your limited suction and pressure lines, that may not be feasible.

Thanks jblizzle, I read some more after I posted and noticed the recommendations for larger cell so 40k it is for Hayward, or the Aquafresh Ei is 35k so I'm sure that would work right.

Also read about ORP so I get it now, I will keep testing and I will just manually add the acid.

I might start with the Salt and robot this summer, seems with my existing system automation may not really help me much. Even the valves I never change/adjust them, no need.

I'm leaning towards the Jandy Aquafresh Ei, it's $950cdn and can be added to their automation later, no redundant parts purchased. The Hayward 40k Aqua Rite standalone salt is $1400 (then $900 to add Pro-logic later for automation) or $1800 for the 40k cell + Pro-logic.

Yeah the 35k cell would also work.

I got the pro logic because I was adding solar control and a SWG and a 2 speed pump.

I have read through the install manual but I'm not 100% sure on this, could the P4 control my existing single speed pump just as a "On"/"Off" switch or no? I saw the wiring for the VS and then the 2 relay wiring for the 2 speed but nothing about a single speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.