Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I have never seen this much pollen before. I back-washed last night (didn't think to take a video until it was finished), and the water was literally golden yellow for about three minutes. The hairnets in my skimmer basket haven't been caked with pollen like some report on here and it obviously let all the pollen through. I wonder if pantyhose or an actual skimmer sock would catch the pollen?

Crazy year for weather. Hairnets may have slightly larger gaps/holes than other products. Just a matter of trying different things and seeing which one you like best. I actually like the 1 gallon paint strainers from the local home improvement store.

I actually like the 1 gallon paint strainers from the local home improvement store.

Same here...they last MUCH longer than skimmer socks which literally fall apart after a few weeks use. though I think the skimmer socks catch slightly finer dust.

Interesting Marian, I might try using two as well to catch any that slips by the first.

Same here...they last MUCH longer than skimmer socks which literally fall apart after a few weeks use. though I think the skimmer socks catch slightly finer dust.

Odd that your skimmer socks fall apart so. We've got some that are going on their 3rd year. Skippy rinses them out with the hose and tucks it back into the basket. A few have lost their stretch and were tossed, but they were probably at least 2 years old?

I have tried both and I think the hair nets strain finer than the paint strainers, and have the added advantage of being disposable ( at $6 per 100). If you have a huge amount of pollen and you use something that catches all of it, you will either have to clean/replace skimmer socks every hour, or you will starve your pump. There is a limit to how fine you want to strain the water at the skimmer.

I have tried both and I think the hair nets strain finer than the paint strainers, and have the added advantage of being disposable ( at $6 per 100). If you have a huge amount of pollen and you use something that catches all of it, you will either have to clean/replace skimmer socks every hour, or you will starve your pump. There is a limit to how fine you want to strain the water at the skimmer.

The hair nets caught none of the pollen or very little of it. I don't want to filter to a fine level, but it was truly dazzling how much pollen came out in the back-wash. I will try the paint strainer and see if I see a difference this weekend.

Paint strainer gets less than the hair net, ladies knee highs are slightly finer than the hair net. If you want to get even finer filtration you might try the regular skimmer socks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.