Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water was golden yellow...

1. Back To Top    #1

Water was golden yellow...

I have never seen this much pollen before. I back-washed last night (didn't think to take a video until it was finished), and the water was literally golden yellow for about three minutes. The hairnets in my skimmer basket haven't been caked with pollen like some report on here and it obviously let all the pollen through. I wonder if pantyhose or an actual skimmer sock would catch the pollen?
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water was golden yellow...

Crazy year for weather. Hairnets may have slightly larger gaps/holes than other products. Just a matter of trying different things and seeing which one you like best. I actually like the 1 gallon paint strainers from the local home improvement store.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I might venture out to the big box store (anathema to me most of the time!) and pick some up.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

When I use the paint-strainer type, I use 2 in each skimmer. Not much gets through to the second one, but some does. I 90 degree the seams.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I actually like the 1 gallon paint strainers from the local home improvement store.
    Same here...they last MUCH longer than skimmer socks which literally fall apart after a few weeks use. though I think the skimmer socks catch slightly finer dust.

Interesting Marian, I might try using two as well to catch any that slips by the first.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Same here...they last MUCH longer than skimmer socks which literally fall apart after a few weeks use. though I think the skimmer socks catch slightly finer dust.
    Odd that your skimmer socks fall apart so. We've got some that are going on their 3rd year. Skippy rinses them out with the hose and tucks it back into the basket. A few have lost their stretch and were tossed, but they were probably at least 2 years old?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have tried both and I think the hair nets strain finer than the paint strainers, and have the added advantage of being disposable ( at $6 per 100). If you have a huge amount of pollen and you use something that catches all of it, you will either have to clean/replace skimmer socks every hour, or you will starve your pump. There is a limit to how fine you want to strain the water at the skimmer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

They might have not lasted long due to my chlorine levels....at my last house/pool I used them on it was really high due to cya 90.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I have tried both and I think the hair nets strain finer than the paint strainers, and have the added advantage of being disposable ( at $6 per 100). If you have a huge amount of pollen and you use something that catches all of it, you will either have to clean/replace skimmer socks every hour, or you will starve your pump. There is a limit to how fine you want to strain the water at the skimmer.
    The hair nets caught none of the pollen or very little of it. I don't want to filter to a fine level, but it was truly dazzling how much pollen came out in the back-wash. I will try the paint strainer and see if I see a difference this weekend.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Paint strainer gets less than the hair net, ladies knee highs are slightly finer than the hair net. If you want to get even finer filtration you might try the regular skimmer socks.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit