Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My experience with cartridge filters

1. Back To Top    #1

My experience with cartridge filters

Hoping to post my lesson so others won't make my same mistake.. I am in Atlanta and have a lot of tree cover ( not my tree's or I would change that ) and get a ton of stuff year round. I wanted to replace my old sand filter and researched and bought the Hayward c17502..Single large filter that on paper was more then big enough for my 20K pool..After 5 years of having to clean it every week or 2 and having to buy new filters ( amazon is great) I decided to upgrade to the 4 filter c4030 )..So far we are getting hammered with hardwood junk and yellow pollen and the pressure hasn't changed I did open it and clean yesterday just to see and the filters were yellow.
    My lesson is pick a filter that fits your area, the 17502 would have been great for a larger pool with no tree's..I hated to trash it and start over but after spending $130 a year on 2 filters I am hoping the return pays off!

Also shop around, I bought mine from a pool store on ebay and saved at least $350 vs the local pool store and got it in 2 days.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My experience with cartridge filters

Another helpful hint is this: Put a nylon stocking over the skimmer basket. It will catch the stuff before it even gets into the filter. Check it every once in a while and change/clean it when it gets clogged up.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Also I also bought a multicyclone which said it would catch the bigger stuff before it hit the filter..Mine did catch a little dirt but it looked like to be the " tree" stuff wasn't heavy and went right through it..I wasted a lot of money of that experiment

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for posting that feedback. You definitely can't go wrong with a bigger filter. We also have lots-o-trees and a big 4 cartridge filter. I switched to Pleatco cartridges and they are even better. Cheaper, clog less, easier to clean, better flow, last longer. All kinds of better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Thanks for posting that feedback. You definitely can't go wrong with a bigger filter. We also have lots-o-trees and a big 4 cartridge filter. I switched to Pleatco cartridges and they are even better. Cheaper, clog less, easier to clean, better flow, last longer. All kinds of better.
    I used that brand in my other filter and your right..Better then the $100 hayward

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I use hair nets in the skimmers. They are cheap, ($6 per 100) disposable, and catch all but the finest debris before the filter. Just be sure to check/change them frequently to avoid starving your pump. Since I began using them I find my filter lasts at least three times as long between needing cleaning.

Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I will try that idea!