Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG/Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm just filling my pool ready for our effort at a summer, I'm running a salt water generator, once the pool is filled, the instructions are telling me to put in two bags of salt, do I need to shock the pool with chlorine as well please.
    15 x 36 Intex AGP
    External skimmer
    Mega sand filter
    1/3 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: SWG/Shock

It may take a day or so for the salt to fully dissolve to where your SWG can begin to product the free chlorine (FC) your pool needs. On top of that, your new water needs stabilizer/conditioner (CYA) to protect that FC from the sun. I wouldn't say "shock" as in extremely high amounts you may be thinking of. But yes, you will need some regular liquid bleach (about 2-4 ppm) just to keep that new water from turning green until your SWG is producing FC on its own and you get it adjusted. I would recommend you read the following which I'm sure will help:
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Again, you'll need to measure and add stabilizer quickly so it can start dissolving. I would suggest the "sock method" of soaking the stabilizer granules, and shoot for a target/goal of 70 ppm for your SWG pool. If you have any questions after reading those links, please let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!