washing soda

Just so you know, you would only use the washing soda if you wanted to increase both pH and TA. If you mostly want to increase pH, then use 20 Mule Team Borax instead. It will increase the TA by half as much as washing soda. To raise the pH with no change in TA, aerate the water.

Are you finding that you have to raise the PH frequently? What do you use to sanitize your pool?

If you would like further assistance on balancing your water, please post a full set of test results. :wink:

BTW, I forgot to welcome you to TFP! :wave:

i just opened the pool saturday (6 days ago). it was the color of strong tea, dark brown. i checked all of my chemicals last night and i finally am keeping a FC reading, not much, but some.
the water has improved daily to now a light green and i can see the third step into the pool. the FC reading was .5, pH was 7.0, CYA 30, CH 250, Alkalinity was at 80. i put 3 boxes (a little over 200 oz.) of Mule team Borox in, and i put another 4 1/2 gallons of bleach. i also started aerating the water.

how do you get the signature on here so i can post my info? i have a 24,000 gallon in-ground with a vinyl liner. i use the cartridge filters

jrigdon said:
i just opened the pool saturday (6 days ago). it was the color of strong tea, dark brown. i checked all of my chemicals last night and i finally am keeping a FC reading, not much, but some.
the water has improved daily to now a light green and i can see the third step into the pool. the FC reading was .5, pH was 7.0, CYA 30, CH 250, Alkalinity was at 80. i put 3 boxes (a little over 200 oz.) of Mule team Borox in, and i put another 4 1/2 gallons of bleach. i also started aerating the water.

how do you get the signature on here so i can post my info? i have a 24,000 gallon in-ground with a vinyl liner. i use the cartridge filters

Go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature. You are allowed 5 lines of text. :)

How are you testing the water? Your CH level of 250 is appropriate for a plaster pool, but a vinyl pool really doesn't require calcium and levels as low as 50 aren't a problem. That being said, you want to ensure your PH stays below 7.8 So I would be careful adding Borax AND aerating. One or the other is sufficient for your situation.

Make sure you use the Pool Calculator to determine dosing for the FC, and use the CYA chart to determine what your shock levels and recommended minimum levels are.

You should keep shocking your pool until your FC holds overnight, your CC is .5 or less and your water is clear. Read about Defeating Algae in Pool School. :wink:

I just checked your numbers on The Pool Calculator. Assuming they are accurate (test kit, strips?) you likely overshot your target on the PH by adding too much Borax. So definetly stop aerating and retest later today. Also, I don't think you added enough bleach to reach shock level, and you'll probably have to repeat the shocking several more times, so I hope you stocked up on bleach. :wink:

Edit: You also may need to go buy some Muratic Acid if your PH ends up over 7.8. End Edit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.