Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed for this Pool Owner Wannabe with Envy

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed for this Pool Owner Wannabe with Envy

We moved into our home 13 years ago. My husband promised me a pool - built-in no less! But we still don't have one. I found on a garage sale on Facebook a Kayak Pool 12 x 24 that is about 29 years old. Everything looks great- no rust, new liner- except the deck is wee bit flexible. Can the wide end of the deck be replaced? The seller is asking only $600! I think it is a good deal, but the husband doesn't. He sees only the need to take it down and put it up again.
    She is selling it with the a solar cover, the solar cover reel, a great winter cover (the kind an elephant can stand on for built-ins), all the cleaning supplies and the original filter that purportedly works great.
    We went new pool hunting and found a close out 24' round, resin coated steel framing for $3316 plus installation cost of about $1000. I had hoped the sticker shock would entice hi to the used pool, but he thinks the new one a better deal. That cost is without a deck too!
    Is the Kayak a good deal? Can we replace the decking at the wide end? I much prefer to pay cash and get new things for the Kayak each year as we need it. $4000 seems like it is just too much- especially in light of no deck.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Pool owner wannabe! I hope to change that this year!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Advice needed for this Pool Owner Wannabe with Envy

hmmm, I would go with new, your cost saving will soon be depleted as you replace old stuff.. at 29 years old if something breaks you probably will not be able to repalce it and now you paid for a pool and deck you can not use...

Decks can be spendy, start with a ladder, then small deck, then add to it as needed or funds become available...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Easy one for me! What HE ^^^^^^^^^^ said! Something WILL go wrong with taking it down and things will get messed up in the move, etc......

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Iwouldn't take the kayak if they were paying me 600.

It's long past it's useful life.

You don't know what is wrong with it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Also, talk to wood fence builders, they can build decks and are usually way cheaper than "deck" builders
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **