Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: General Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

General Questions

Hello I just joined TFP today, I moved into a house 2 years ago with a 16,000 gallon in ground gunite plaster pool. I've never owned a pool before and Last season I was bringing my water to Leslie's Pool to get tested and was spending a fortune on chemicals and my water was never crystal clear. This year I bought a Taylor test kit and will be testing the water myself and will be using the BBB method I've been reading about. I drained my pool and pressure washed it, and as of now my chemical readings are PH 7.4, Alkalinity 110, Calcium 260, Chlorine 4, Free Chlorine 0, CYA 40. I also bought a Phosphate tester and Phosphate level is 0. My plan is to use cal-shock when I need to shock my pool and 8.4% bleach to add chlorine. My question is when testing the water do I add drops till the color just changes or keep going till it changes and gets darker. Also, which chemicals change the most throughout a typical week or month such as should I test chlorine and PH more often than everything else etc? After adding chemicals how long should I wait before retesting and after shocking pool how long before I should retest? Thanks in advance of all of you help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: General Questions

Welcome!

You're in for a disappointment. We don't shock routinely. Why? Because we don't get algae! Maintain adequate chlorine levels for your CYA and you may never get algae either. Some of us have gone more than five years without ever seeing green water, 365 days a year. Your CH is on the low end, so you could use Cal-hypo for your daily chlorination for a little while, but if you haven't already bought it, don't. Just stick with bleach.

Your FC level needs daily attention. Judging by the high TA, I'll guess the pH will need adjustment a couple times a week for a while, and then maybe weekly. The only way to be sure is by testing. CYA will only go down by splashout, rain overflow, or backwashing. CH will slowly climb through evaporation and refill, unless you choose to use Cal-hypo to chlorinate. TA isn't really all that critical except to calculate acid dosages. By the time it needs attention (if it ever does) you'll be experienced and knowledgeable enough to deal with it yourself.

For testing, you count drops until the color changes and keep going until the last drop doesn't change things and deduct that. In your case, your TA test starts at green. Probably around 9 drops it turns greyish. At 10 it's pinkish. At 11 it's even brighter pink. 12 doesn't change anything. Deduct that useless drop. 11 drops. TA is therefore 110.

I'm going to recommend you spend some time in Pool School. Start with the ABCs and How to Chlorinate and Recommended Chemicals and How to use poolmath.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! I have a link for you to print out and keep by your test kit. I bet this helps you a LOT!

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Do the reading Richard gave you and it will all start to fall into place. Make sure to ask any and all questions or concerns your might have.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for you help I really appreciate it. Just to clarify since I'm new to this the abbreviation CH is referring to Calcium?

5. Back To Top    #5

That's correct. Calcium Hardness.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

One other question about the chlorine level for CYA, with my CYA at 40 what chlorine level should I be at? and thanks again everyone for your help.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cjbyrd View Post
    One other question about the chlorine level for CYA, with my CYA at 40 what chlorine level should I be at? and thanks again everyone for your help.
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Also, if you enter your pool's particulars down in the last row of poolmath, as you fill in the current readings, it will set the recommended target levels for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Couple of other questions. I forgot to mention in my original post over the winter I was talked into buying and installing one of those Zodiac mineral cartridges. Will that cause any kind of issues with my pool or am I fine just leaving it? Also, to get an accurate reading how long should I wait after adding chemicals to test the water again? Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pull the zodiac out and move on. The minerals can cause problems with staining and turning hair green over time. Chlorine is the best way to go.

Testing after adding----make sure the pump is running and wait about 15 mins before testing. A good brushing will be a good idea to help mix it all in.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the info Kim I was thinking I had to wait hours to a day before before retesting after adding chemicals.

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope. The only thing that does not show up right away on the test is the CYA AND we are running "tests" on that now to see the best testing time for it.

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Will shocking my pool throw off any other chemical tests I was reading it could interfere with the PH test, how long should I wait to test water after shocking?

13. Back To Top    #13

An elevated FC level (over FC 10) will give misleading (high) pH readings. Extremely high FC can also make some of the other tests react differently with their respective colors. But generally, the only one that you hear the most is once someone is doing a SLAM, with an FC over 10, they are reminded to not test pH anymore until the SLAM is complete.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!