Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to me pool

1. Back To Top    #1

new to me pool

bought a home with a in ground pool, I noticed a vacuum line port in the pool wall so I removed the screw plug but there is no suction. I only have 1 jandy valve and I have set it off in both directions and there is no difference in the suction at the skimmer. Could this vacuum port not be plumbed? I stuck a garden hose in there and it goes back about 5 feet then stops, I don't know if its a bend or what but still no suction. I currently vacuum the pool through the skimmer but would like to put a vacuum in the pool and not obstruct the skimmer basket.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: new to me pool

Add a picture of your setup please. This could also be a return line to operate a pressure side vacuum, which usually has a booster pump. Maybe the booster was removed and pipe capped near pad - just a guess.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: new to me pool

I had one that was under a waterfall, assumed it was a return jet, but no water was every coming out. Eventually found a pipe near the equipment under ground that was capped off. Turns out a previous owner must have had a dedicated waterfall pump. Well, I tied it into my main pump with a valve and now use it as a dedication suction port for my cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!