Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st timer question

1. Back To Top    #1

1st timer question

Hoping to be a 1st time pool owner this summer. I've been lurking for the past month and have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. I'm starting to feel the same way I do when going to the dentist, not sure if what they recommend is really what you need.
    Specifically have a question about an SR Smith Turbo Twister water slide. Original quote was $3600 for pool and installation. Design guy then came back a few days later and said he'd made a mistake and that was just the cost of the slide New quote was $7400 for slide and installation. Looked online and finding retail prices of about $3100 delivered on Amazon, could go cheaper buying direct from other sellers but Amazon makes it so easy, I'm guessing the PB wholesale price is less than this. Asked the design guy about this and he said the extra $4k is for installation(footings, bonding to the swimming pool steel shell, plumbing and connection to valve and controller) and profit. I read the reviews on amazon and there are reviews of people installing the slide in 4 hours or less on their own after the pool is already built. Now I'm starting to feel like I'm at the dentist. I want a quality build and minimized troubles down the road but I haven't yet resigned myself to putting $10
    0 bills in my wheelbarrow and dumping them in the hole as someone suggested on another thread. .
    So the question is...Anyone had experience installing or having this slide installed? Does that sound reasonable for installation of pool equipment? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st timer question

4 grand just to install the slide itself you say? Not the whole pool? What kinda and size pool we talking about here? Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Well, I misunderstood your title. I thought you had a question about a timer. I can't help you, but welcome to TFP.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! $7400 sounds like way to much to me...but, I'm kinda "thrifty". I would watch some youtube videos and see if you think you could handle the installation on your own.
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

5. Back To Top    #5

20X44' with 8 foot shelf. Still nailing down the finer details. 9 foot on the diving end and 3.5/4 just off the shelf(still agonizing over that decision.

aerial.jpgIMG_3609.jpgBarker Pool R4_018.jpg

Not sure how the pics will turn out but this is the google earth shot of the house with rough pool outline. Also a picture off our existing deck where the pool will be to show the slope (pool will start where trampoline is now). Last picture shows the pool and slide with the landscaping we also plan to do. Have to put a small rock retaining wall at the edge of the pool deck due to the slope.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm going with a 3'9" shallow end because I couldn't decide either!
    18 x 38 gunite, 39-7 deep, 8 x 12 tanning ledge with 8 deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16 long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

7. Back To Top    #7

I have SR SMith pool ladders and they are very well made. THis slide looks like a lot of fun and likely easy assembly with the exception of running the water line,,, assuming you also need to install deck anchors - which is probably nothing more than 1/2" drilled holes in the deck.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

8. Back To Top    #8

We did an owner build and got the TurboTwister slide ourselves for a little over $3K. We put it together ourselves, but still haven't installed it yet. My plumber ran the pipes for it and the decking guys fine tuned where the stub would come up through the concrete by having us position the slide where we wanted it to mark the spot before they poured the concrete. We could have paid them an extra $325 or something close to that to install it all the way 28 days after the concrete cured, but we will do that with the help of friends. There are youtube videos to guide you. I would say your PB is gouging you on the install and there is no way it should cost that much to put it in. You definitely could do it yourselves with the right tools (hammer drill) but planning the plumbing around it would be a good idea.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the advice! Glad I found the site.

10. Back To Top    #10

OUCH! Some one is really reaching deep into your wallet on that one!

Pull up the installation manual and see how deep the footer needs to be for the slide....if you do that your will be fine!

We put in our own car lift.........we found out how deep the footer needed to be and poured to those specs. My husband used a hammer drill to put the bolts in and it is GOOD!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit