DE filter full clean even if PSI is fine...?

Jan 28, 2014
Buckeye AZ
The first year of the pool I did a backwash at 6 months, and a full disassemble clean out at a year. Given the unwieldy process of the backwash and "that should be good" precision of adding DE back in, I decided to just skip the backwash and do the full clean out when the PSI got 25% over the starting PSI.

Problem is, it's a year later now, and the PSI is maybe 10% above clean. The water features don't quite have the oomph of last year, but a few adjustments to valve splits or VSP speed and it's fine.

Is it still worth it to do a full disassemble? In some ways I think the fewer times I take the thing apart over the next 20 years, the better chance it will last (lost parts, misaligned assembly, dumb accidents). Water is clear, and turning the light on the other night, the normal number of floaties.

I suppose the other option is that the PSI gauge is not reliable?

BC,

I take the opposite view. I tear down my QuadDE100 filter every year (usually before the swim season starts) no matter what the pressure rise is. The reason this is important is for inspection purposes. The quad cartridges (or grids if you have a grid version) should be inspected annually for tears. There are usually internal components like seals, screens, air bleed assemblies, etc, that should all be inspected and checked for damage. The large body o-ring should be removed, inspected for cracks and re-lubed annually or else you risk it drying out.

I know it seems like a pain and my filter takes a minimum of 2 to 4 hours to tear down and clean out, but it is worth it to me for peace-of-mind. I'd rather deal with replacing worn out parts on my own time rather than have an emergency explosion or leak that catches me off guard. It's nothing more than simple preventative maintenance and TFP always recommends taking the PM approach to pools and pool equipment.

are you just using KY type lubricant, or buying something specifically for O rings?

I am also a little sheepish on washing the old DE down the driveway and down into the run-off reservoir where all the kids play. Do you have a non-abrasive method for removing old DE by hand (for bag/garbage) before rinsing the grids?

Boss Products #820 pure silicone lube (no Teflon). Works perfectly and large tube of it will last long enough for you to leave it for kids to use when you die and leave them your estate ;)

As for DE, yeah, I just wash it off in a corner of my backyard behind our casita where no one goes. It eventually works itself into the ground and then I scoop it up and dispose of it. It's not a big deal to me, but if you have limited property space it can be a hassle to deal with.

Do you backwash into a city drain? If so, just do an extra long back wash of the filter (maybe turn the water on and off a couple of times to create some turbulence). You can rinse quite a bit of it out that way and then shopvac out the wet stuff at the bottom of the filter body. The rest of the loose stuff you'll just have to send into a storm drain or on some corner of the yard no one uses.

You can switch to cellulose fiber but it's not as effective as DE and it tends to be a bit more gooey when cleaning it off. But it is much less hazardous than dry DE dust so it's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

last time I rinsed on the driveway and it goes to the street, a white cloud working its way three houses down, and into the play area. If it's really a breathing hazard when dry, I will probably drain the filter and scoop what I can into the bottom half of the filter before even removing the grids.

My bottom plug is in a bad spot though, so I'm looking at letting the water drain down to pump level and then shop vac (or, home carpet cleaning attachment actually) the rest.

Where does your backwash go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Just FYI, the instructions say specifically to not lubricate the metal reinforced seal. Only to lubricate the O rings on the elbow intakes.

You're misunderstanding the instructions. They say not to use "petroleum based" lubricants (such as WD-40 or Vaseline) and they are correct. Petroleum based lubes should never be used on the o-rings as that can dissolve them. Silicone lubes are not "petroleum based" and will not damage rubber o-rings.

By not lubing the o-ring, a user runs risk of the exposed side drying out and cracking or, worse, having the o-ring stick itself to the filter body making it impossible to remove the lid. I have personally witnessed o-rings do this in other contexts where the get so old they begin to disintegrate and turn into a tacky, glue-like substance that has to be mechanically scraped loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
update FWIW: disassembled on Saturday. released the air lock and it drained down to pump level. Took the top off, pulled the whole assembly out. They recommend you backwash before disassembling, I imagine that is to make the assembly easier to lift out. This time I put the assembly in a really tall plastic bag and manually removed what I could from the whole thing. Got a small bucket and scoop/ladle to remove the rest of the water. Scooped out the slush at the bottom, wiped it all out.

Still just hosed off each grid on the front driveway. Let the water evaporate then go sweep up the DE that's left over on the curb.

THis year, I opted not to make a slurry with the DE, instead just added to the skimmer "two shakes at a time". We'll see if it covers better this time. As I said my pressure never went up last year, but there were some uncovered spots at the very bottom of the grid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.