2016 bleach prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Texas more specifically DFW (Arlington). Was cruising through the pool supplies and bought 10 gallons of 10% at $2.50. I have a 23,000 gallon pool and I'm new to the TFPC method. Should I go back and buy some more to get me through the season, how many would you guys think I might need (rough estimate)? It's the cheapest I've found in my area.

I would only buy enough to get you through maybe a month or slightly more. Bleach will lose strength over time. So ideally, check the production dates of the bottles whenever you buy bleach. Hopefully, next time you buy in a month or so, the bleach will be newer and have a later production date. Bleach loses strength over time as a function of temperature and of course, exposure to UV light. Bottles keep the light out but storing it on your deck or outside at 80-90 degrees and it will lose strength fast.

thanks for the heads up.

I called a few of the bulk chemical distributors on the island and no one was up for selling me anything.

BJ's also has cases of 4 gals of 12.5% at a decent price ($13.99).

A Muley4x4:

If you go past Walmart very often, I'd just buy some more in a few weeks. Let them store it for you. I think that their price is here to stay for a while, so I see no need to stock up. I live in Sugar Land, and have a 23,000 gal pool. 3.1 oz per minute, and I have been running my pump for about 13 minutes a day (pumps in Chlorine), so about 40 oz per day, so a Gallon lasts 3 days, so about 3 gallons a week, seems about right. I don't usually buy more than a week or two's worth, but that's also since the Walmart is literally across the freeway from my work.

Walmart in New Hartford, NY has "Pool Strength Chlorine" at $2.50 for 10% !!! I believe it's a full gallon as well (don't have bottle convenient to me at the moment). That bests their house bleach at 121oz of 8.25% for $2.75 I think (might even be higher).

First time running it, so I hope it's fresh. I've tried Aldi's Bleach vs Walmart Bleach and the pool never seemed to hold the FC as well (I could be dreaming this).

Picked up 8g of HTH at Ace today. Not sure about date code, but pretty sure it's 136th day, and not January. 16JA136.
4g/$10.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought some of the $2.50/gallon 10% chlorinating liquid from Wal Mart. How fast does this stuff lose strength? The date of manufacture on the ones I bought is February and March 2016, but the rest were in December 2015 so I was scared to buy.
The march stuff is ok if it appears to have been stored inside. The December stuff... pass.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.