2016 bleach prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much bleach do most of you go through in a season? Trying to gauge how much I will use from May to September in my 24 foot agp.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
maybe around 10 to 12 cases (4 per case) would be pretty close. I think I got 16 cases for my 24' and had extra my first time. Problem is the older your stash becomes, the weaker it gets (lesson I learned when I got the 16 cases). Unless it's some awesome sale that won't be repeated, your better of buying enough to get you until the next sale.

My menards flyer says limit 6 free gallons per guest. Guess I'll be going SWG. Liquid is expensive in my area this year or in this case a hassle for multiple purchases. In the past I'd stock up for the summer during this bogo sale.. hard to beat $2/gal for 12%
I've never seen the limit before, wonder if it's even enforced within the computer during checkout or just something they added in the add and only enforced through the cashier's personal knowledge. Either way the sale is repeated maybe 3 or 4 times a year and your better off buying it multiple times through the season to get fresher supply. I actually hope they run out so I can get sorry slips to buy whenever I want/need.

79f289b7609c9f1205e68fcf4d567d05.jpg
anyone use this? Does it add anything besides chlorine to the pool that I should worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa!! Slow y'alls roll down a second y'all....

Bleach will lose potency over time, faster if its in a warm place. Try to gauge how much you'll use in a month perhaps, unless the price is so good that you understand you may need to use *more* of it as time passes to get the same result as when it was fresh. That of course makes the cost savings questionable.

::::We now return you to your previous program:::: :shark:

I store in a dark cool garage understanding the compromise. I'd rather it there than in the hot lumber yard on a pallet at the store. My local store seems to really load up this time of year and I feel that it's potentially a one time stocking that they deplete over the summer. It's seasonal here and when the store shifts seasons they want that stuff gone. I could be way off base perhaps they need to replenish mid summer. That said the BOGO is the best deal I recall. I remember them doing gallons for 2.50ishI'd summer but not 2. 2 bucks a gallon is a pretty good deal even at diminished strength

Some people are storing in their basements which is cool and UV free (although I'd personally worry about Cl vapors). I've taken the strategy of burying a 55 gallon HDPE barrel near my equipment pad and building a cover for it. Right now, it is looking pretty good: the contents have settled to the ground temp of 53°F which should mean minimal degradation over 3 months (assuming the ground doesn't warm too much). I insulated the top 2 ft of the barrel hoping that the deepest part of the barrel in contact with the earth will effectively keep the contents cooler (and minimize the effect of the ground most susceptible to summer warming). Time will tell if my little experiment pays off. So far, so good. I started with 25 gallons and when I saw how the temperature was holding so low, I went all in and bought another 25 gallons. 50 gallons should hold me for 3 months. $150 at OSJL.

I've taken the strategy of burying a 55 gallon HDPE barrel near my equipment pad and building a cover for it. Right now, it is looking pretty good: the contents have settled to the ground temp of 53°F which should mean minimal degradation over 3 months (assuming the ground doesn't warm too much). I insulated the top 2 ft of the barrel hoping that the deepest part of the barrel in contact with the earth will effectively keep the contents cooler (and minimize the effect of the ground most susceptible to summer warming). .

I'd love to see pics of this, please?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very industrious! Thanks for sharing

Thanks Yippee. It would have been more industrious if I actually dug the hole myself! At first glance, it seems like a crazy idea, but in its simplest form, it actually not that costly to implement: $100 for the hole (thanks to our gardener); $35 for the drum; a few bucks for the gravel; and a few bucks for the cover. Not that different from the cost of a Stenner tank. We need a lot of bleach for our pool, but for someone with a smaller pool, they could go with a smaller drum = smaller hole and even less $$. The drum level monitor is not needed. Someone could just make a dipstick out of a 4' long dowel. The transfer pump is mainly because I'm too lazy to schlep 50 bottles of LC but it has the added advantage of no splashing/spilling. A good funnel would probably accomplish the same thing. The thermocouple is unneeded but I got it so I could know if my idea actually made a difference in keeping the bleach cool. The other thing I like is that I can lock the cover and keep the bleach out of reach of tiny, curious, hands that are often running around our property during get togethers. I would worry about a tank of bleach that could be tipped over if it was sitting unsecured on the equipment pad. One less thing to worry about during parties--I want to focus on my grilling and drinking not keeping track of little rugrats running around the property who are not in the pool (the ones in the pool, I will keep a close eye on).

Cheers,

Jay

I'm going to have to check WalMart.

I went into Home Depot here in Tucson on Broadway today for an unrelated item and noticed that they had 2 gallons of 10% "Liquid Pool Chlorinator" for $6.96 (or $6.98 something in that neighborhood). It came out to a price that was competitive with the bleach I was buying at Costco per ounce, but of course the extra 1.75% concentration is nice. Julian dates on one pallet were a little old, but the other pallet had 16-117 on it, so I figured that was worth buying a few boxes (I'm draining and filling this weekend, so I knew I'd need more than a couple week's supply).

Curious if anyone else is purchasing their Liquid Chlorine from Napco in the Spring TX area? If others are purchasing bulk liquid chlorine rather than Target, WalMart etc how much tare you usually buying? I know it all depends on your CYA and FC loss but I am also curious as chlorine losses strength as per the charts provided earlier on in the thread.

I am finding that my local Target and Walmart as lacking in inventory and also fresh chlorine lately. There must be other members in the area who are using the the TFP method more now!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.