Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemistry after acid wash

1. Back To Top    #1

Scottsdale, AZ

Chemistry after acid wash

My small, pebbletec, salt water pool was acid washed seven (7) days ago. The cyanuric acid is at 45 ppm so far, but the chlorine reading is extremely high. I'm sure the pool water was over chlorinized when the pool was refilled. Can I expect the chlorine level to drop to normal range, and how long might that take after an acid wash?
    5,500 Gal., Salt Water, Sand filter, Pebbletec pool (2000); Intelliflow variable speed pump running @ 1300 RPM/6 Hrs/day (2015); iAquaLink programmable (2015); CircuPool chlorine generator (2009); acid washed (2016)

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Chemistry after acid wash

Start by checking the % setting on the SWG. Turn it down or off. If it's already off, just wait a few days and FC will come down, typically 1-2 ppm per day due to sunlight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!