Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about in wall skimmer vs over the wall skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about in wall skimmer vs over the wall skimmer

I have read over and over how to install a in wall skimmer in my intex just wondering.
    If it a lot better than the over the wall ones? I use both the over the wall on a separate little filter.
    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about in wall skimmer vs over the wall skimmer

Yes, you will not regret it
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I have top keep the water down lower in the pool? I know it will have to be below the seam that goes around the top of the pool but can I just have the water level. Right below the top edge of the skimmer? If that makes since. I don't want to loose much depth in the pool.
    20'x54" intex ultra Sand filter. with SWG Still work in progress will have Resin 24" fence around the top. Hooked to a 10x6 Deck that is attached to another 10'x6' Kids Club house. Slide from main deck into pool. Intex softwall lights. Kenwood Marine radio sealed in a deck box all Bluetooth controlled with Pyle 5" outdoor speakers.

4. Back To Top    #4

wall skimmers work best half full, but I sometimes have my level close to the top so it is deeper, no problems unless kids splash alot. The waves can push water through the skimmer top opening.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

5. Back To Top    #5

http://https://goo.gl/photos/p2SmsNJvVcfaEJjo6

Hope you can see the picture, let me know please.
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    http://https://goo.gl/photos/p2SmsNJvVcfaEJjo6

Hope you can see the picture, let me know please.
    cant see the pictures, use a site like imgur Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

here is how I did it... post number 93, i followed the many posts on here on how to accomplish this..
    New above ground oval 18x33 install - Page 2
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome thanks. I am placing my order this weekend then. Looks like it is a great upgrade. Just scared to cut the liner LOL.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

The soldering iron for the corners worked GREAT, then just a new razor blade nice and slow along the line... Mine has been there a year now, made it through winter with no issues and works perfect now that it is opened again...

1 Caution, most everyone does this with almost no water in the pool... the vinyl does have major pressure on it when the water is filled (that's why so many screws in the skimmer) Just something to watch
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I only drained to just below where I needed to make the cut. Don't worry, it won't tear.

My thought was that it was better to have the liner fully stretched out when making the cut, versus installing the skimmer and having the hole stretch out when it was filled.

This is a great upgrade, you won't regret it. You pool will stay much cleaner.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I agree 100% Jeff worth every bit of it

11. Back To Top    #11

100% worth the effort. I installed the skimmer without removing any of the water. I had a little water escape when I made the screw holes, and I had the bottom of the skimmer capped off before I cut out the square hole. I usually have my water level about 3/4 the way up the skimmer door, so I lost an inch or so in depth.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

12. Back To Top    #12

So which wall skimmer does everyone recommend? I been looking at a few on amazon just not sure which is the easiest to hook into the piping I already have.

Great info everyone thanks for all the help by the way.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I used 2 inch PVC in mine to connect everything, are you planning to do this also?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

It comes with an improved return eyeball and an adapter so that you can use a real pool vac too.

The only drawback is that it doesn't thread directly to the Intex hoses, so as Casey mentions, you'll have to fashion something to adapt them. I also used a few dollars worth of PVC to make mine. It's easy.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide