New Pool with leak

update. scuba diver had to reschedule due to a equipment issue. I was to be present. I also have myself on the schedule for a pool leak detection company for
Aprill 11 if it comes to that.

The water level has now went to below returns and hasn't stopped so the light fixture is all that's left under the water other than main drains. The pool held water all winter so I don't think it could be main drains or liner but who knows what could have gave way during equipment startup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never tried one of those, so i don't know how well they work. From the video, it looks like you cram it up in there pretty good. How would you get it out of there if you needed to? It (also) looks as though you have to remove the light fixture to thread the cord through the plugs' hole, and re-pull the light.
But i am probably wrong there...

What we do is use a product called A+B epoxy putty. Its a bit pricey, about 35.00, but we have used it for over 25 years, with very satisfactory results. Since you are letting the pool drain down, i would let it go till it stops, then not fill back up for the "plugging".

- Remove the light from the niche and set it on the deck.
- Prepare your patch (A+B).
- Cover the area where the cord(s) come through the niche, be sure to make a good seal (obviously). Next step is most important.
- Do not reinstall the light at this time. Re-installing the light now would more than likely move the cord in the conduit, and since the patch is still soft, open up your patch, and resume the leak.
- Come back tomorrow and re-install the light.

Note: This epoxy has no problem with a wet environment, so no worries if it gets wet.

We have had very good luck with this particular procedure. The trick is to use enough epoxy, but not too much, remembering that some day, you may need to remove that fixture and don't want to hinder the removal and re-installation by an excess of epoxy patch that you couldn't get out of the conduit. More or less cover the opening, and perhaps push a little into the conduit, maybe 1 inch but that's all!

I would hold off on doing anything though at this point, until the pool builder addresses HIS leak! You/I (as the customer) would only do this in the event the pool builder abandons you. However, it sounds (from your posts) that his is willing to make good.

Good Luck

The plug has a slit in it to where you can put the cords in the plug without cutting the bond wire or having to redo the light cord. Then when you push it into the conduit hole it compression fits. I think I will also put a light coat of putty over the plug and around the hole for backup.

- - - Updated - - -

The water has stopped leaking and the water level is at the conduit hole as I already have the light on the deck and have been monitoring the water level in relation to the conduit hole. The PB is going to do the plug and putty and also check the pool at the water level for any other possible leaks. I will then add a couple inches of water back to the pool to make sure it doesn't leak back down before having water delivered. Fingers crossed that it was this simple fix.

UPDATE: Looks like the video I posted in this thread is exactly what happen and the leak was in the light conduit. The pool builder will now always install the flex pipe and also use the plug I found. What we ended up doing is cutting the plug in half where it would fit down in the conduit about half an inch where we would still have access to the light cords if needed in future. Then we A+B epoxy into the conduit on top of the plug and around the conduit hole.

It has been 24 hrs and holding.

Thanks to everyone on here for your help and advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.