Your thoughts - Hayward 3400vsp vs Pentair 342000 (Variable speed shootout)

Jun 13, 2013
I sold my trusty SuperPump today, decided to make the leap to a VS pump this year to reduce the electricity bills.

I've found a local repair shop selling what appears to be warranty returns that have been refurbished and come with warranties.

They currently have a 1 year old refurbished Pentair 342000 for $450, or a Hayward 3400vsp for $499. Keep in mind prices are in CDN$ so they may seem high to many of you, but take about 30% off for comparison purposes.

I've done a bunch of reading online about both and am kind of torn. Both seem very similar. Leaning towards the Pentair simply for the $50 cost savings, but thought I'd ask for thoughts from the brains here before comitting either way.

Pool is not open yet (still a month away at earliest up here) but I'm looking to make a decision inside a few days - this guy seems to move product pretty fast and I already missed out on one I had my eyes on, the 110V compatible version of the Pentair...all he has left is 220v models which complicates things as I need to run a new line to the equipment area, but it is what it is....

Superflo VS and Ecostar are very different. The ecostar pump is Haywards top of the line pump and the superflo is meant to compete with the super pump.

Superflo will be the easiest to plumb and if your super pump did what you needed, then the superflo will be fine. IMO, keep looking for a new 342001 so you can use your current 110V service as well as get the updated version. The motor and interface are totally different for the better.

Superflo VS and Ecostar are very different. The ecostar pump is Haywards top of the line pump and the superflo is meant to compete with the super pump.

Superflo will be the easiest to plumb and if your super pump did what you needed, then the superflo will be fine. IMO, keep looking for a new 342001 so you can use your current 110V service as well as get the updated version. The motor and interface are totally different for the better.

Well, he sold the 110v model and indicates it's highly unlikely he'll have more. Yes, I could buy one new instead but I'd be looking at more than twice the money, hence why I'm looking at these refurbs instead.

Running 220 to the equipment location isn't a massive deal in the end, it's probably something I should have done long ago honestly given my issues getting enough 110v circuits on the back deck to power everything in the summer without popping breakers on occasion. ;)

I'm leaning towards the Hayward at this point because of the fact it has (as I understand it?) an actual clock and can be programmed accordingly. Reading about the Pentair it seems it just uses a rolling 24 hour cycle where it goes through pump speed settings, but without any reference to the actual time? I run a solar setup with some level of automation so having the pump on the "same page" as the sun and automation is important.

The new Superflo has a built in time clock.

I'm correct in understanding the old ones do not, only a rotating 24 hour clock that starts when the unit receives power basically? The guy selling these was trying to explain it to me but it wasn't exactly clear, but it's a reasonably good guess that these are last-generation models based on the fact they're all refurbished units.

The old SuperFlo VS is the 342000 so it does not have a clock. The new one is the 342001 which does have a clock. But if you had a timer for your old pump, you can use if for the 342000.

The existing automation setup, without additional relays, was only setup for 110v.

Initially he had a 342001 which I noticed was also 110v compatible, so I had wanted that one, but it sold so now he only has 342000's available which are the ones without the clock I guess.

Looks like I'm going to opt for the Hayward instead, especially if I'm going to have to run 220 anyways - he only wants $50 more for it ($500 vs $450).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.