Setting intelliflo speeds

FINALLY got the pool opened up and turned on for the first time, and I have a couple of questions that may or may not be related.

My first and most pressing question: the heater has a flowing water/gurgling/dripping sound coming from the header (more pronounced when the heater is off), but the sound diminishes when the valves are set to spa fill/drain. The heater is not leaking as far as I can tell, but it sure sounds like it is.

Which leads me to my next question-I'm trying to figure out the speeds to run my intelliflo. I read a lot about what mas985 has posted and used a couple of his spreadsheets, but I am wondering if I am going to put too much stress on my system.

What I know about the plumbing:

The skimmer and main drain are connected, which leads to a 1.5" suction line. The spa has its own drain with a 1.5" suction line, and both lines merge at a 3-way valve that converts to 2" pipe. The pool has 2 returns plus a pressure line, and spa has 2 returns with eyeball fittings and 2 little holes that suck in air. When the easytouch is in pool mode, 100% of suction comes from the pool and about 80/20 returns to the pool and spa, respectively (before replacing the equipment, I had it set on 50/50). Spa mode switches 100% suction and return to the spa. When the suction is either 100% pool or spa, I'm worried that I'm exceeding the recommended flow for 1.5" PVC. Should I adjust the suction valve so that it is never at 100%? My pool heater requires a flow of 40gpm, but isn't that is pretty close to the "recommended" limit of 1.5" PVC? Could this be the cause of the sounds the heater is making? I have the intelliflo set to 2350 RPM in pool mode to aid in spring cleanup, and according to mas985's intelliflo calculator, that is around 52-55gpm.

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.