Extra pool building costs

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
I've listed some extra cost items we didn't know may not be included in pool bids and would like to know if there are any more we need to be aware of...

- repair landscape/sod/etc after pool build $?
- new landscape to make area around pool look nice $?
- sprinkler repair / reconfigure $?
- upgrade gas meter ~$400

Not knowing an estimate yet on how much the first three are and not being sure if there are other costs we are not sure how much to put into the actual pool and how much to leave to cover these extras. After we decide on design and builder we can send the design out for landscape/sprinkler estimates.

Around here there is no charge to increase the gas meter ... I guess they figure they will recoup the costs in the added gas usage.

While not high $, What about pool tools and toys? Brush, net, pole, floats
Furniture for around the pool
pool cleaner (which may or may not be included in the pool cost)

Just to expand on the landscape, depending on your setup your front yard can get as destroyed as the back if the bobcat has to go through it to the back. Fense repair might be an item too again depending on setup. Most builders will put it back if they have to take it out, but if it was old to begin with might want to go new.

We have an additional cost of running the gas and electric to the equipment pad.
There's usually an additional cost if they have to flash the dig site to protect it from caving in due to rain or unstable/soft soil.
And then there are the "upgrades" ..... upgrading plaster level, adding shells and/or beads, changing pumps, upgrading automation, specialty glass tile, etc... There are an endless (or so it seems) list of goodies and bling that can be added.

They do not provide medicine to cure sparklypoolitis. Be aware.

I'm in the process right now of rebuilding my yard.

I already had a sprinkler system, but 80% was destroyed by Pool Builder. Cost for the work performed today:
Cost per new zone(includes pipe, wire, sprinkler heads, trenching, solenoid valve & installation) $375 - I needed three new zones
Cost to reconnect existing zones and rework a zone partially destroyed $250
Cost to add a new exterior faucet tee'd off sprinkler main line at shed & trenching work for french drains $130

Total $1505 for sprinkler rebuild.

Sod is going in on Friday.
Cost per pallet of St. Augustine $120 ea, a pallet covers 450sqft. I need 6 pallets
Delivery $75 total
Cost for sod installation $50 per pallet

$1095 for new sod & installation.

In addition to above:

Fencing. Waiting on our first bid price but our pool project is also kind of forcing us to replace a bunch of other old decrepit fence around the entire house as well, so probably $5k to $7k?

Pool Furniture. We don't have room really because of how our patio butts up to the pool area and we have patio furniture, but if we didn't, this would not be an insignificant expense.

Pool tools, toys and floats. Probably close to $1k when all is said and done.

Robot/cleaner. $1k

Landscaping... Sky is the limit.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drainage. I was worried about my back yard flooding my pool (no elevation issues) we paid 2K to have 2 4" pipes run out to the road. (1 for all the gutters & new deck) 1 for the pool overflow.oB said it wasn't necessary- based on our elevation but for me I really wanted the peace of mind.

I've listed some extra cost items we didn't know may not be included in pool bids and would like to know if there are any more we need to be aware of...

- repair landscape/sod/etc after pool build $?
- new landscape to make area around pool look nice $?
- sprinkler repair / reconfigure $?
- upgrade gas meter ~$400

Not knowing an estimate yet on how much the first three are and not being sure if there are other costs we are not sure how much to put into the actual pool and how much to leave to cover these extras. After we decide on design and builder we can send the design out for landscape/sprinkler estimates.

I've built 2 pools in Houston in the last 5 years. Clearly, Centerpoint makes you pay for the gas meter upgrade in advance...but only after your pool has been filled.

I've had estimates for the other items that were all over the map. For example, I had estimates to repair/reroute my irrigation that ranged from $900 to $7800. Landscaping estimates were even more disparate. I would recommend that you develop your own landscaping ideas (size, type of flora, etc.) and then bid out the contract to do the work based on your ideas. I would not worry about irrigation repair until after landscaping is complete (assuming you use different vendors for the 2 services) so you'll actually get the right amount of water where you need it.

For both of my pool projects, the magnitude of the cost for the items you've mentioned have cost me about 15% of the price of the pool itself (e.g. if pool contract cost $50k, landscaping & irrigation cost about $7500). Otherwise, I would have ended up with a nice pool and junky landscaping (or junky pool and really nice landscaping).

Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone for adding more additional items to consider. It is adding up! The landscape/sprinkler costs helps let us know ballpark figures as to what we will need to not put into the pool build and save for that. I have not even wanted to think about sparklypoolitis yet! We may be in trouble there!

Has anyone had to pay extra to run conduit for pool lights back to the equipment pad? I just had my electrician out today. The original contract called for 200' of electric work from my home panel. Now, they are adding in the length of conduit needed to run 3 pool lights and adding over $1k to my electric estimates. I couldn't believe it! I would've never had imagined that the wiring from the pool to the equipment pad was not included in the price of the pool.

Here's the exact wording of the contract:

Furnish and install up to 200' feet of electrical conduit from Owner's existing panel, includes a GROUND FAULT INTERRUPTER for pool lights as per Code requirement, and includes cost of necessary permits. Owner responsible for panel meeting Code. (Additional electrical conduit over length shown is $7.00 per foot.) Does not include filling in trenches after conduit is placed.

One thing you may want to look in to regarding your gas meter. Instead of upgrading ours which was going to be 375.00, for the same money we had the gas company put in a new meter just for the pool and outdoor kitchen. Makes it really easy to keep track of what you are spending heating the pool , spa or both.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.