Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra pool building costs

1. Back To Top    #1

Extra pool building costs

I've listed some extra cost items we didn't know may not be included in pool bids and would like to know if there are any more we need to be aware of...

- repair landscape/sod/etc after pool build $?
    - new landscape to make area around pool look nice $?
    - sprinkler repair / reconfigure $?
    - upgrade gas meter ~$400

Not knowing an estimate yet on how much the first three are and not being sure if there are other costs we are not sure how much to put into the actual pool and how much to leave to cover these extras. After we decide on design and builder we can send the design out for landscape/sprinkler estimates.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extra pool building costs

Around here there is no charge to increase the gas meter ... I guess they figure they will recoup the costs in the added gas usage.

While not high $, What about pool tools and toys? Brush, net, pole, floats
    Furniture for around the pool
    pool cleaner (which may or may not be included in the pool cost)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great point. I have a sprinkler company coming over this weekend to re-route ours. $75 to come out and I think $65 for each additional hour of work. *sigh* I like spending my money on things like bubblers and deck jets!
    18 x 38’ gunite, 3’9”-7’ deep, 8 x 12’ tanning ledge with 8” deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16’ long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))

4. Back To Top    #4

Another cost for those homes with septics is the redesign and relocation of septic spray heads.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Just to expand on the landscape, depending on your setup your front yard can get as destroyed as the back if the bobcat has to go through it to the back. Fense repair might be an item too again depending on setup. Most builders will put it back if they have to take it out, but if it was old to begin with might want to go new.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

6. Back To Top    #6

On my own build I'm paying extra to replace the gate with an extra wide-RV gate. Also extra money for child safety fences and locks.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

We have an additional cost of running the gas and electric to the equipment pad.
    There's usually an additional cost if they have to flash the dig site to protect it from caving in due to rain or unstable/soft soil.
    And then there are the "upgrades" ..... upgrading plaster level, adding shells and/or beads, changing pumps, upgrading automation, specialty glass tile, etc... There are an endless (or so it seems) list of goodies and bling that can be added.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

They do not provide medicine to cure sparklypoolitis. Be aware.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm in the process right now of rebuilding my yard.

I already had a sprinkler system, but 80% was destroyed by Pool Builder. Cost for the work performed today:
    Cost per new zone(includes pipe, wire, sprinkler heads, trenching, solenoid valve & installation) $375 - I needed three new zones
    Cost to reconnect existing zones and rework a zone partially destroyed $250
    Cost to add a new exterior faucet tee'd off sprinkler main line at shed & trenching work for french drains $130

Total $1505 for sprinkler rebuild.

Sod is going in on Friday.
    Cost per pallet of St. Augustine $120 ea, a pallet covers 450sqft. I need 6 pallets
    Delivery $75 total
    Cost for sod installation $50 per pallet

$1095 for new sod & installation.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

In addition to above:

Fencing. Waiting on our first bid price but our pool project is also kind of forcing us to replace a bunch of other old decrepit fence around the entire house as well, so probably $5k to $7k?

Pool Furniture. We don't have room really because of how our patio butts up to the pool area and we have patio furniture, but if we didn't, this would not be an insignificant expense.

Pool tools, toys and floats. Probably close to $1k when all is said and done.

Robot/cleaner. $1k

Landscaping... Sky is the limit.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"©
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

11. Back To Top    #11

Drainage. I was worried about my back yard flooding my pool (no elevation issues) we paid 2K to have 2 4" pipes run out to the road. (1 for all the gutters & new deck) 1 for the pool overflow.oB said it wasn't necessary- based on our elevation but for me I really wanted the peace of mind.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

12. Back To Top    #12

We had to pay out before the build for lots and lots of trees to be removed right where the pool would go.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    They do not provide medicine to cure sparklypoolitis. Be aware.
    Like that's a bad thing! But it is contagious!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by firehunter View Post
    I've listed some extra cost items we didn't know may not be included in pool bids and would like to know if there are any more we need to be aware of...

- repair landscape/sod/etc after pool build $?
    - new landscape to make area around pool look nice $?
    - sprinkler repair / reconfigure $?
    - upgrade gas meter ~$400

Not knowing an estimate yet on how much the first three are and not being sure if there are other costs we are not sure how much to put into the actual pool and how much to leave to cover these extras. After we decide on design and builder we can send the design out for landscape/sprinkler estimates.

I've built 2 pools in Houston in the last 5 years. Clearly, Centerpoint makes you pay for the gas meter upgrade in advance...but only after your pool has been filled.

I've had estimates for the other items that were all over the map. For example, I had estimates to repair/reroute my irrigation that ranged from $900 to $7800. Landscaping estimates were even more disparate. I would recommend that you develop your own landscaping ideas (size, type of flora, etc.) and then bid out the contract to do the work based on your ideas. I would not worry about irrigation repair until after landscaping is complete (assuming you use different vendors for the 2 services) so you'll actually get the right amount of water where you need it.

For both of my pool projects, the magnitude of the cost for the items you've mentioned have cost me about 15% of the price of the pool itself (e.g. if pool contract cost $50k, landscaping & irrigation cost about $7500). Otherwise, I would have ended up with a nice pool and junky landscaping (or junky pool and really nice landscaping).

Good luck!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Hubby is planning on repairing all of our irrigation and change out all the sprinkler heads to more appropriate ones.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

16. Back To Top    #16

Our gas meter upgrade was more like $4K in Maryland (BGE), plus our plumbing costs from meter to heater.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

In my experience, a pool is a big hole that you throw money in to. To appease the pool gods, fill a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills and light them on fire, this might please the gods and minimize unexpected expenses
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you so much everyone for adding more additional items to consider. It is adding up! The landscape/sprinkler costs helps let us know ballpark figures as to what we will need to not put into the pool build and save for that. I have not even wanted to think about sparklypoolitis yet! We may be in trouble there!
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

19. Back To Top    #19

Has anyone had to pay extra to run conduit for pool lights back to the equipment pad? I just had my electrician out today. The original contract called for 200' of electric work from my home panel. Now, they are adding in the length of conduit needed to run 3 pool lights and adding over $1k to my electric estimates. I couldn't believe it! I would've never had imagined that the wiring from the pool to the equipment pad was not included in the price of the pool.

Here's the exact wording of the contract:

Furnish and install up to 200' feet of electrical conduit from Owner's existing panel, includes a GROUND FAULT INTERRUPTER for pool lights as per Code requirement, and includes cost of necessary permits. Owner responsible for panel meeting Code. (Additional electrical conduit over length shown is $7.00 per foot.) Does not include filling in trenches after conduit is placed.

20. Back To Top    #20

One thing you may want to look in to regarding your gas meter. Instead of upgrading ours which was going to be 375.00, for the same money we had the gas company put in a new meter just for the pool and outdoor kitchen. Makes it really easy to keep track of what you are spending heating the pool , spa or both.
    Friendswood TX, 23x39 free form , 20K gallons , 3 HP VS pentair , 1 HP whiisperflo, Pentair easy touch , 400k BTU pentaier heater, Deck Jets, Pentair 5g LED Lights. Tanning ledge with bubblers. Taylor 2006 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast