SLAMmed but still Cloudy - how to clear?

Mar 23, 2016
Montgomery/AL
Just joined, GREAT source of info and help for first time pool owner.

I read through the Pool School info on SLAMming and followed the steps. I believe I have 2 of the 3 outcomes - green algae is gone, OCLT is within 1 ppm Fc (checking again tonight). But, my water is still very cloudy. I started on March 5, 2016. My stats are below and I am keeping my Fc high while running pump 24/7:

pH - 7.6
Fc - 10.5
Cc - 0.0
CH - 80 (vinyl pool)
TA - 90
CYA -- 50
Borate - 30

what am I missing?

Attachments

• Pool Day 0.jpg
    Pool Day 0.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Pool Day 5.jpg
    Pool Day 5.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 78
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, that FC level is not high enough to be a SLAM level. For a CYA of 50ppm, you need to maintain a FC level of 20ppm.

Likely you just need more time and filtration.

How often are you backwashing? You should do that when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter to ensure it is in good working order?

After you have done all the above, if the water is still slow to clear, you could try Adding DE to your Sand Filter.

Time and chlorine are what you're missing.

Shock Level is 20 FC as pointed out above. It needs to stay there until the water is clear - even after brushing, the OCLT passes, and there is less than .5 CC. You're not clear, so you have to keep it up there a while longer.

How long has it been since you began? I think the record here for a green-to-clean story was three days, but that guy was motivated and obsessed since he was deploying overseas. He got up every two hours all night long to brush and dose and backwash and everything. Typically a week to ten days to be completely through when the pool is as deep a green as yours was. There is generally noticeable improvement in the green tint by day three.

You have a sand filter, which is the slowest about clearing a swamp. You can improve the filtration by adding a little diatomaceous earth or fiberclear cellulose to your filter. On a microscopic scale it's like setting a window screen over chicken wire. So if you go that route, do it when you're going to be home to watch it because it will likely clog up in a couple hours, at least initially.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.