Sodium Carbonate vs. Sodium Tetraborate?

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I was planning to buy a box of 20 Mule Team Borax to raise my pH level. However, I noticed that the box listed the ingredient as sodium tetraborate & not sodium carbonate as mention in this forum. Are they the same?

Thank you kindly.

Kit

Either will work. Soda ash will raise TA more than borax.

When you use poolmath to calculate the dose for pH adjustment, it will give you the choice of which one. If you'll remember that amount and scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and input the amount and select the chemical from the dropdown, it will tell you roughly how much the pH will change and pretty accurately how much the TA will change.

sodium carbonate is soda ash, not borax. They are 2 different chemicals.

Recommended Pool Chemicals

Oops! My error. Sorry. Thank you for the clarification.

Kit

- - - Updated - - -

Either will work. Soda ash will raise TA more than borax.

When you use poolmath to calculate the dose for pH adjustment, it will give you the choice of which one. If you'll remember that amount and scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and input the amount and select the chemical from the dropdown, it will tell you roughly how much the pH will change and pretty accurately how much the TA will change.

Thank you, Richard. I have to admit that I never scrolled down to the Effects of Adding Chemicals section of PoolMath.

Kit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.